Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/)
-   -   94 s10 blazer coolant temp guage (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/94-s10-blazer-coolant-temp-guage-64777/)

drummerdude 11-06-2011 07:33 PM

94 s10 blazer coolant temp guage

Alright so I need some help here. I have a coolant temp guage that does not work. I have done some research and searching and found out which sensor it is, and I have tested the guage itself and wiring by shorting the connection to ground and the guage works. I just went and replaced the temp sender unit and the gauge still does not work. Its about 50 degreees outside and I let the engine warm up for a good 20 mins and the gauge still has not moved, what eles can I check?

Thanks guys

mr.vls 11-06-2011 09:40 PM

Which sending unit did you replace? There are two temperature sending units, one is for the gauge and one is for the ECM. The one for the gauge is mounted on the side of the block. The one for the ECM is mounted by the water inlet at the intake manifold. Also there are two different temperature sending units for the dash. One is for vehicals with an idiot light and one is for vehicals with a gauge. I have had the parts store sell me the one for a car with an idiot light before.

pettyfog 11-06-2011 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by mr.vls (Post 472603)
Which sending unit did you replace? There are two temperature sending units, one is for the gauge and one is for the ECM. The one for the gauge is mounted on the side of the block. The one for the ECM is mounted by the water inlet at the intake manifold. Also there are two different temperature sending units for the dash. One is for vehicals with an idiot light and one is for vehicals with a gauge. I have had the parts store sell me the one for a car with an idiot light before.

Drummer.. that is very likely the problem.

drummerdude 11-07-2011 05:54 AM

I replaced the one on the side of the block. And it is the correct sensor, looks just like the old one, so now I'm going to play the game of track where the bad connection is.. IE ground, clip, etc.

chris015 11-07-2011 05:57 AM

the trucks a 94....do you have the terrible digital dash? If so it could just be the cluster. They are notorious for loosing gauges.

harley745 11-07-2011 07:15 AM

Temp Guage

I had the same problem, and finally added a Manuel temp gauge, now I know for sure what the temp is, also according to specs I added a 195 degree thermostat, now it runs between 190 and 195. The temp is never out of the range. Good Luck Sir

bromanjr 11-07-2011 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by drummerdude (Post 472562)
Alright so I need some help here. I have a coolant temp guage that does not work. I have done some research and searching and found out which sensor it is, and I have tested the guage itself and wiring by shorting the connection to ground and the guage works. I just went and replaced the temp sender unit and the gauge still does not work. Its about 50 degreees outside and I let the engine warm up for a good 20 mins and the gauge still has not moved, what eles can I check?

Thanks guys

If shorting the wire to ground pegs the gauge, then it is the sending unit, you got the wrong one or a bad one.

drummerdude 11-07-2011 07:35 PM

I do not have the digital cluster. Can someone post the link for the right part at napa or autozone?