Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

blazer stuck in park wont shift

Old 11-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Starting Member
1997 red chevy blazer is on a distinguished road
Default blazer stuck in park wont shift

my blazer is stuck in park and it will not go into reverse/drive etc what would be the problem before i get it towed to a shop and when i try to push the button in it makes a clicking noise from the dash

Old 11-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Beginning Member
bouts5991 is on a distinguished road

could be the linkage from the steering colum to the tranny, either bound up, could of been thrown into park and the linkage pushed back a little to far, and its locked that way.. do any offroading recently? could be a stick stuck up in there.. may also be rusted solid... or a piece of rust stoping your linkage from moving..
could also be the tranny its self. how many kms on the truck, i dont think that if it was working one day and not the next the tranny its self would the issue. its probably linkage
the 4x4 gears, now depending on the year. if im not right, 4x4 wont go into 4x4 if its in park? im pretty sure, and i know on mine forsure (93), it has to be in neutral to put it in 4x4, now theres shift on the fly, but i think that only goes for driving forward. that i not 100% sure about. but there is soooo many possible things that could be wrong but atleast theres a start..

Old 11-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Park interlock solenoid. Sounds like it is not properly disengaging.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:04 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

do your brake lights come on? some vehicles(not sure on the blazer) the 'Park interlock solenoid' as kyle calls it engages with power off the brake switch...

correct me if I'm wrong

and are you on a hill? try rocking the truck a bit, if you are on a steep incline try pulling your truck up a hair to take the force off the park 'pin'

Old 12-21-2010, 06:10 PM
jkhabel is on a distinguished road

i have a 1997 chevy blazer Ls.....just recently my truck just died while i was driving.....the truck will not start but the motor will turn over....when you turn the key to the ACC position, it doesn't get any of the dash lights, like the check engine light, the brake light, seat belt etc....it also wont come out of park even if you have your foot on the brake and the key turned....as soon as the dash lights went out it got stuck in park

Old 12-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

jkhabel, your problem sounds more like an ignition switch failure than the park interlock solenoid.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Default blazer in park

Thanks swartzs! That's what conclusion we came up with also.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:28 PM
ChevyFamily is on a distinguished road

jkhabel, what ended up being your problem? I changed my brakes today and then when I went to go for a test drive I couldn't get it out of park.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 AM

The ignition switch is going bad.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:12 PM
ChevyFamily is on a distinguished road

jkhabel, thanks for replying. I am wondering what the symptom you were having. I disconnected the transmission linkage under the car and I can freely switch the trans into any gear with the lever on the trans. My Servo that releases the console shifter isn't working and the linkage cable seems stuck. Were these problems you had with a bad ignition switch?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: blazer stuck in park wont shift