2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What are the temp guage increments??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Beginning Member
freakgt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are the temp guage increments??

Kind of an odd question, but what in what increments dose the temp guage go? I dont see how the top center of the guage is 210. There is 7 lines between 100 and 210 so how do those lines add up to 210?

Old 12-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What are the temp guage increments??

It does not have even increments. Straight up on pretty much any gauge is normal operating range (if the gauge swings that way). Normal operating range for your truck is 200-210*F on a 195*F thermostat.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Beginning Member

So approx what temp is 2 1/2 to 3lines left of 210? It use to be about 5 lines left of 210 and that seemed really low to me soI put a new stat in it. So now after putting in the new stat the guage sits about 2 1/2 to 3lines left of 210. Is this normal?

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

It does not have even increments. Straight up on pretty much any gauge is normal operating range (if the gauge swings that way). Normal operating range for your truck is 200-210*F on a 195*F thermostat.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Typically, the gauge will read from 100*F at the left, 210*F straight up and 250*F to the right.

It is even increments between the noted values. I could not find a clear picture of the temp gauge on your truck, however, the gauge should be split up by 5 bold markings with 3 dim markings between each bold one. Starting at 100*F, the next bold line would be 155*F (not marked 100 + 210 divided by 2), then 210*F, then 230*F (not marked - 210 + 250 divided by 2), then 250*F.

So on the first half of the gauge, the markings would be increments of 13.75*F. The first half is even increments and so is the last. The whole gauge is not even. If you are 2.5-3 lines below 210*F, then this is roughly 169-176*F. This is still quite low.

Not that you asked in this thread, but I would suspect that you still have air in the system. between 150 and 170*F is the temp which the temp sensor will read when it is reading air/steam in an otherwise up to operating temperature engine.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, that makes sense. It makes whatI would think to be good heat soI was thinking maybe the temp sending unit is starting to go. Oncein a while it will get up to 210* but then out of no where it will jump back down 2.5-3 lines. I guess ill jack up the passenger side to see if any air is in the system, and go from there.

Typically, the gauge will read from 100*F at the left, 210*F straight up and 250*F to the right.

It is even increments between the noted values. I could not find a clear picture of the temp gauge on your truck, however, the gauge should be split up by 5 bold markings with 3 dim markings between each bold one. Starting at 100*F, the next bold line would be 155*F (not marked 100 + 210 divided by 2), then 210*F, then 230*F (not marked - 210 + 250 divided by 2), then 250*F.

So on the first half of the gauge, the markings would be increments of 13.75*F. The first half is even increments and so is the last. The whole gauge is not even. If you are 2.5-3 lines below 210*F, then this is roughly 169-176*F. This is still quite low.

Not that you asked in this thread, but I would suspect that you still have air in the system. between 150 and 170*F is the temp which the temp sensor will read when it is reading air/steam in an otherwise up to operating temperature engine.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Beginning Member

I took the steps to get any air out of the system that might be in there, but still no luck. I notice the fan kicking on be for it gets any where near 210* and it cools it way down. For some reason the fan stayed on the whole time.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Administrator

The fan always turns due to parasitic drag in the clutch. Only when the clutch gets warmed up (specifically the coil on the front of the clutch), should it fully engage and turn at engine RPM.

With that said, the only thing that the fan does is cool the coolant in the radiator. The ONLY thing in the cooling system which regulates the temperature of the coolant inside the block is the thermostat. Given that your temps keep fluctuating, that is a clear sign that there is still air in the system somewhere.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:57 PM
salvy is an unknown quantity at this point

I found the that if you have air in the system, which you do, the fastest way to get out those stubborn air pockets, raise up your passenger side, cap off, rig up something to pedal or linkage @ 1500-2000 rpm's,keep it there, watch the top few fins in radiator, you'll force out air quicker when the stat opens, you'll see little bubbles start coming out through the top fins,keep filling the coolant as it drops,it took me about 1/2hr doing this last week, after repacing a radiator, intake gasket, water pump, and stat ! after your satisfied there's no more bubbles, be sure the temp gauge is up around 200* , top off the radiator while the motor is still up around 1500 rpm's. fill the coolant tank, cap the radiator, release the pedal-linkage to idle, drop the truck, and your trouble should be gone. Gauge should stay like a rock. Good Luck.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Beginning Member

I tried for like an hr to get any air pockes out but still no luck. There is a noticeable diff in sound from the fan when its on compaird to off, I could tell the whole timeI was trying to getany air pockets out, that the fan was engaged the whole time. maybe the fanclutch is taking a crap? I all so notice that after a good 20min of driving it the upper and lower radiator hoses are barely even warm, when they should be to hot to even hold onto.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Administrator

What are the outside temperatures when you are driving around. While I agree that the upper hose should be hot, it really depends on how cold it is outside.

To test the fan clutch... With the engine cold and off, there should be relatively little resistance when you spin the fan by hand. When the truck is up to complete operating temperature (radiator as well as engine), there should be a resistance to the clutch. If it is very cold outside, then the radiator may not need the clutch to pull air through it in order to appropriately cool the system. Ultimately though, it is the job of the thermostat to control the temperature inside the engine block.

Quick Reply: What are the temp guage increments??