2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2005 blazer 2 door / CODE P0449 / 4.3 L VORTEC / evap canister vent solenoid location

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Starting Member
joejiz is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi,

I have code P0449.
It's not the GAS CAP as I bought OEM brand new, cleared the code and it still came back.

I can seem to locate where the heck this EVAP thing is. I know I'm looking for the part under the hood but the part that is connected via the EVAP canister.

Attached is a photo of the canister and all the lines run up.
Does anyone know where the heck this thing is and how do you access it?

Take the tire off?

Pic is looking up at rear drivers side wheel well via BUMPER.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- EDIT --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry meant to say I know I'm

" NOT LOOKING FOR THE EVAP under the hood "

but

rather the solenoid down by GAS TANK/ FRAME RAIL!?!?!?!

Old 09-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Starting Member

I was reading around, is it true it's behind gas tank, facing the front of the car? I have to remove the gas tank rubber protector shield to get at it?

Old 09-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

On a 2 door, it's attached to the crossmember just forward of the tank, above the rear axle.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Starting Member

Ahhh hah!!! Yes and covered by plastic gas tank cover piece!

I see a electrical line ran behind there! Maybe it's it!

I'll report back!

Old 09-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Starting Member
Default following up

thank you so much for helping me out, I've dropped the gas tank cover and can finally see the solenoid.

I don't quite see how to unhook it from the bracket. I do see a screw head near gas tank but there is no way to get screw back in as when I back it out - the screw head would hit tank.

How does one un mount and remove this device for replacement?

Also the hose that attaches to it? Can someone tell me how to remove it without breaking the plastic piece, do I just pinch it and pull off?

Any other tests I can perform aside of just R&R the device?

Thanks so much everyone. Hope this thread will help others in future.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

On the back side of the vent solenoid there's a "track" with a molded plastic tab at the end of the "tracks", (top left corner in the image). The metal bracket locks over the tab to hold the solenoid in place. The metal bracket must be lifted up over the tab before the solenoid will slide out of the bracket, (probably sand & dirt in the tracks and you'll have to wiggle it to get it out). Pinch the vapor line connector tabs towards each other to release the line from the solenoid. Might have to rotate them back and forth slightly to break them loose, then pull straight off. The electrical connector has a plastic retainer tab that must be released to unplug it.

Name:  EVAPventsolenoidrear.jpg
Views: 7938
Size:  79.0 KB

Old 09-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Starting Member
Default Removal

Hi

Attached is some pics, I see the unit is attached to the round cylinder. Assume thats where the charcoal is.

I'll print up what you've said and try and take it off.

Appreciate your help and picture. Hope these pictures help too as well.

Everything look as you expected?

Attached Thumbnails 2005 blazer 2 door / CODE P0449 / 4.3 L VORTEC / evap canister vent solenoid location-vancouver-20120928-00107.jpg   2005 blazer 2 door / CODE P0449 / 4.3 L VORTEC / evap canister vent solenoid location-vancouver-20120928-00108.jpg  
Old 09-28-2012, 08:50 PM

That's it! On the line connector, the knurled tabs are what you need to pinch to release the line.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Starting Member
Default Upda Almost removed

Hi!

I've got the line off ( pinch it really hard )
I've got the wire connector off ( no problem didn't break it )

But there is nothing attached to the plastic bracket.

The item is somehow connected the round canister some other way.

Maybe it's an ALL - IN - ONE PART ?

I'm kinda stuck on what to do get this thing down in front of me?

I've got the flash light up there.

I've tried turning the canister in hopes it would dislodge from the what appears to be a ROUND MEDAL BRACKET which attaches ON TOP OF the canister.

I believe the unit actually pushes into the canister, if it even comes apart.

Something is a bit different with this part.

If I've exhausted you of all answers, let me know. Thanks again for all your help!

I'm almost there!

By the way ( even with all that disconnected ) the same code comes up! ( so thats good to know )

Old 10-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Starting Member
Default this is what the part looks like

i believe this is the part I have. all-in-one unit

2003 - 2005 Chevy Blazer S10 Chevy Blazer S10 Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid Valve for V6 4.3L ( 8th Vin Digit X) ( AC Delco) at 1AAuto.com

just gotta find out how to get it off!

Quick Reply: 2005 blazer 2 door / CODE P0449 / 4.3 L VORTEC / evap canister vent solenoid location