Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

My small 96 Blazer build

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:03 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Ice it around a cold one

Old 04-17-2014, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

^this is what I did yesterday^ took a day off of work to hang out with the oldest boy and wife for the day and sent the little man to daycare! We ventured into DC and went to the crime and punishment museum for the day. It was a blast and was really nice to spend some quality time with the family. After we got home I took a nap and then had a few cold ones to finish up the evening and a nice little glass of Jameson to help me sleep Who needs pain meds when you've got good whiskey??

Old 04-18-2014, 08:34 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Who needs ANYTHING when you've got good whiskey ..... AND painkillers!

Old 04-23-2014, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Got just a small bit accomlished today but I feel pretty good about it lol!!
It looks like the ranger shackles are going to work out really nicely. I trimmed a bit off the front edge to move them forward and still stay flat on the frame rail. I also moved it up a bit so that it sits flush with the bottom of the frame.

I lined the top hole up with the body mount bolt as an easy refernce to make sure they are both equal distance from the from hanger. I may end up moving them forward about a 1/2 to 3/4" but I want to wait till they are both in with the axle under there and let them sit on full weight for a day or two. I am not sure on that yet tho just going to have to see how things settle out more. Here is a couple crap photos showing it on its own weight and the shackle angle.
This is no weight

and then with weight on it. Its tucked up nicely which I like I just hope I can get a better shackle angle once everything settles in. Sorry its kinda hard to tell the angle but you can kinda use the above pic and look at the body mount to see it.

I also think it will help to give a bit better shackle angle once I have both hangers in and it sitting on an axle rather than a few blocks of wood!

I also ordered some Mile Marker hubs to try and motivate myself to put the d44 back together lol!

Attached Thumbnails My small 96 Blazer build-da92f8b4-4bb0-46f7-981f-e9b2bbd3f4a3_zps5xb8irxp.jpg   My small 96 Blazer build-7aa3aa99-1a81-4e85-8c29-571fdc4b59bd_zpsytclkqdc.jpg   My small 96 Blazer build-e94b8bfd-3d7c-4eb3-aab0-64f23ca235b7_zpsp4zx5ivi.jpg   My small 96 Blazer build-b5d72851-1167-43fe-9a4f-884acacbc7e7_zpsznomitze.jpg  

Last edited by rexmburns; 04-23-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:59 PM
05canjimmy is on a distinguished road

looks good man

Old 04-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

You're planning on plating the frame in that area right?

Old 04-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't plan on it no. I've looked at a couple other builds that a similar in setup with a flat shackle hanger welded straight to the frame in te same spot and they haven't had issues so fingers crossed I'll be alright. My frame is solid and in really good shape to. I'll be sure to keep a close eye on it tho.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:08 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

I know on the ZR2 site they highly recommend plating the frame, it's a fairly common failure to have.

Just because they haven't had issues yet doesn't mean they won't. Now's the time to do it. I plan on plating any areas where I'll be welding to the frame.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jamaroon
I know on the ZR2 site they highly recommend plating the frame, it's a fairly common failure to have.

Just because they haven't had issues yet doesn't mean they won't. Now's the time to do it. I plan on plating any areas where I'll be welding to the frame.

I did a bit of looking and I may go ahead and plate it since I may be cutting the hangers off to move them forward a bit.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Well its sitting on its own weight or at least it was till I pulled everything back out for some adjustments. I think I am going to have to either move the mounts forward about 3/4" which is no big deal since I just tacked it all in for now anyway or pull a leaf from the pack and see if I get a bit mor settle out of them. The way it sits now tho the front shackles are straight up and down if not a slight bit forward. Opinions? Here's a couple shots with full weight on the front axle and the 37" tire for refernce.

The back jack stands are not touching they are just there. It's going to be rather tall.

Attached Thumbnails My small 96 Blazer build-c384634b-2c16-46a0-a14d-aa968c8ea088_zpssxxusrig.jpg   My small 96 Blazer build-676f11e2-7102-4b2b-a54d-306d7c2421c5_zpsn0toyhsb.jpg  

Quick Reply: My small 96 Blazer build