Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Why do Blazers get such a bad rep?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:21 AM
Z85TB is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by berksbill
my '03 is named 'Puddles the Wonder Chevy' in between replacing random parts, I just chase leaks that leave puddles. It only has about 80K on it so, I expect to be replacing the usual stuff for first time... bearing hubs, water pump etc...luckily I have too much time on my hands and a love for tools.
Lol! I have "Puddles" older brother I think. You can easily 'spot' where the Blazer parks in the driveway (hey, I think I just named it! haha). Thing pisses me off. I'm ready to just yank the motor and start over with ALL new gaskets. But of course the leaks don't start nor end with just the motor. I wish you were my neighbor, although I'd prolly burn out our neighborly friendship asking if you'd wanna work on my pile too

It still baffles me as to how anyone could think the motors are 'powerful', but to each his own I guess. I'll agree they're tough motors though. The Vortec 4.3 will prolly run forever and stay fairly untarnished due to constant coating of oil and fluids

Old 04-17-2014, 03:51 PM
Beginning Member
PrecioustoHim is on a distinguished road

Well, I am so glad I stopped by to read ya'lls posts about older 2nd gen Blazers. You have restored my faith in them!
Ever since I purchased my girl, a 1999 Blazer LS, everyone has been telling me what a huge mistake i have made. And I was beginning to believe it myself. After the purchase cost and actually getting swindled by the dealer because they did not disclose a few things that were wrong with her(that were marked A Okay on the Wisconsin Buyers Guide, but were actually not A Okay when I got her home within 48 hours), I am having to spend another $868.00 at the mechanic getting several things fixed....bleh!

But i really do like her. I feel like I am driving a truck not a car. She is powerful and can really go through the snow. She has more bells and whistles than any other vehicle I have ever owned.

So thanks for not bashing the Blazer here in this thread, thanks for the lift up!

Attached Thumbnails Why do Blazers get such a bad rep?-dsc02025.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 06:34 PM
UkrainianGuy is on a distinguished road

i think the hate is on the GM brand name

Besides who keeps their vehicle longer than 5/6 years anymore?!

Nothing on the road looks like a BLAZER! With that in mind, its okay if she needs repairs, because I'm driving a vehicle i love, and would never part with.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by UkrainianGuy

Besides who keeps their vehicle longer than 5/6 years anymore?!
People with S-series trucks.. because they've dumped so much maintenance $ that the truck in a sense now 'owes' them and they gotta drive it more to get their monies worth

Originally Posted by PrecioustoHim
She has more bells and whistles than any other vehicle I have ever owned.
On an LS model? What did you own before that... a jeep?

Last edited by Z85TB; 04-18-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:02 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

longest vehicle i ever had was a s10. going on 5.5 years i think. stupid thing wont break so im stuck with it. other then that i get rid of my new cars when warranty is up and the beaters usually rust away within a few years.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:43 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about

This

That is all...

Old 04-20-2014, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by tibby
This

That is all...
Whoa, what happened for the '00 models?

I look at the big 3 complaints... and of course have had 2 of them.
- Stupid erratic fuel gauge has been doing that forever (WTF is the cause of that anyway?)
- Trans failure, check! 101k average it says. I had sunshell failure @ 79k.. seriously??

Old 05-26-2014, 07:29 PM
Starting Member
Dolanjohn1990 is on a distinguished road

I bought my 97 about 4 years ago and its had its quirks. After fixing the problems it had when I bought it, such as injectors and ball joints, it has never left me stranded on or off road. This is the 3rd s series I bought and I love it. Its become a part of the family. Ive been rearended and ran off the road and there isnt any marks to show for it. It still has its problems but It is my baby and it will be buried with me. Blazers may get a "bad rep" but the owners that stand by them and keep repairing them still believe in them and have a certain pride in owning one. I know personally Ive gotten so fed up with mine that Ive gone to list it, only to be kept from doing so by the wifey. She knows that I love my car and that safety wise its well built. She hs even grown to love it. You cant go out wondering why they have such a bad rep. Th only opinion that matters is the owners.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:47 PM

The ol' trusty Blazer threw another problem at me a couple weekends back... coolant leak. Not over heating, but after driving and parked it'll be pissing out coolant. Appears to be around the oil cooler area but can't tell exactly for sure from where exactly. Haven't had a chance to fully look at it, good ol' Blazer though.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Starting Member
canuck blazer is on a distinguished road

check where the lines come in near the grilll they tend to spring a leak there

Quick Reply: Why do Blazers get such a bad rep?