2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 S10/Blazer front shock replacement

Old 01-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Beginning Member
danyboy has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default 97 S10/Blazer front shock replacement

I was wondering if I'll have to compress my front coil springs when I change the front shocks on my 97 4x4 Blazer ( the shocks go inside the coil springs).

Old 01-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If your truck is 4wd, you do not have front coil springs.

Either way, the answer is no.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Beginning Member
Default front shocks

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If your truck is 4wd, you do not have front coil springs.

Either way, the answer is no.
I do have front coil springs.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No 4wd s-series truck ever came with coil springs anywhere in the suspension from the factory. The front 'springs' are torsion springs commonly referred to as torsion bars. They attach to the lower control arm at the front suspension and then to a cross member at the back near the center of the truck.

If you have coil springs up front, your truck is 2wd.

Please take a picture of your suspension, attach it to your post, and we'll get this sorted out.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Beginning Member
Default front shocks

You're wright, must have dreamed seing coil springs in the front when it was lifted up at
the garage.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by danyboy
You're wright
Orville or Wilbur?

The information I have given is accurate to stock configuration. Someone may have messed with things (a lot) and changed it around, but stock 4wd == no coil springs, period. No need to get testy over it.

Again, want to settle this, snap a picture and post it.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Beginning Member
Default front shock

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Orville or Wilbur?

The information I have given is accurate to stock configuration. Someone may have messed with things (a lot) and changed it around, but stock 4wd == no coil springs, period. No need to get testy over it.

Again, want to settle this, snap a picture and post it.
I said I was wrong. I am not being testy over it. I made a mistake thinking I had coil springs in the front. There is nothing to settle. I am not perfect, I make mistakes.