2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

changing brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:22 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future
Default changing brake pads

I changed my brake pads myself on my old car, and I would be pretty sure that a blazer can't be that much different, but I want to make sure before I get down and dirty and then realize I don't know what I am doing. Can someone give me a quick runthrough of how to change them. Also, I want to change the fan belt cause that squeaks too. Can someone tell me this also. Thanks.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:43 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: changing brake pads

The fan belt is the easy one... all you need is a decent sized ratchet or wrench to move the tensioner, then pull towards the drivers side of the truck, and the tensioner should move out of the way... if it doesn't, go the other way, lol.

The belt will become totally slack, then just slide it off of one pulley, and then you can let go of your leverage tool, and work the belt out around the fan... Reverse order for putting the new belt on.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:53 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

Cool! Sounds easy enough. Thanks drperry.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:02 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

No problem!

I'd offer to tell ya how to do the brakes... But it would be straight from the Haynes manual, since I haven't done my brakes... Gotta save up for some nice slotted rotors and swanky pads, first, lol.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:53 PM
hockeykid15 is an unknown quantity at this point

brakes are actually pretty easy. for the pads it is just removing the two pins in the caliper, taking off the old pads, greasing the new ones and putting them on. you will need to depress the caliper, otherwise you will find there is no way to put them back on. it is one of those things that all you really need to do is remember how you took them off and reverse the order.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:54 PM

Pretty much the same thing I did on my old car. I still have the huge clamp that I bought to depress the calipers. I know I have to siphon some of the brake fluid out so when I depress the caliper, it doesn't overflow. Cool , I am going to do both on wednesday and thursday. I am going to order my safari bar also.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:03 AM

Okay, fan belt is done. It was sorta easy. The tenshioner gave me a little trouble, but it's on and no more squeak. Now, the pads. The drivers side is done. It took me about an hour and a half cause I don't have air tools and it took a little positive reinforcement to get the caliper pins out. Now the passenger side pins would not come out at all. I tried for a hour and used wd-40 and a breaker bar and everything I could find and nothing doing. I am just going to take it to a garage, give them the pads, and pay them the labor for about 15 minutes probably lol. Just (air rachet sound) and done lmao.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:01 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont use air tools, just leverage tools.
Piece of pipe over the rachet handle, a socket and extension, or a closed end wrench works too. Something like this, in order of prefference.
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines....nr2/211475.jpg
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines....nr2/211474.jpg
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines....nr2/211473.jpg

Old 09-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Starting Member
Sorell is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to work as a front-end mechanic for a couple years and never had to use an air tool on brakes... not even on a 56 Eldorado. I can only say to prepare to have to change out the calipers too if they're seized that bad

Old 09-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Zed
Zed is an unknown quantity at this point

Spray them with penetrating oil and let em sit over night and then try them , I too have never had to use air tools when doing brakes ...

Zed

Quick Reply: changing brake pads