2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Broken Hood Release Cable, Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 12:33 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Broken Hood Release Cable, Help!!

My son broke my hood release cable at the lever on the inside of the cab. The cable has slide inside of a plastic sleeve and I cannot grab it.

Any ideas????

Old 12-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Broken Hood Release Cable, Help!!

This on your '00???

If so, I'll grab my digicam and take some pictures of the mechanism for you so you can try to see of a way to pop it without the cable. Shouldn't be all that difficult, just takes knowing where to put the screwdriver. I'll also take a look at the routing of the cable to see if it drops low enough anywhere so you can try to get it there.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:10 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, the '00.
Thanks!!

I already popped teh kick plate to see if I could grab it behind the panel. However it goes inside of a plastic sleeve. Seems to be a bolt holding the end of the sleeve in place, didn't have much time to fart around with it this morning, had to get to work.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I'll get the digital camera out as soon as I get home and snap some pictures for ya. Every little bit helps!

Old 12-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Damn man. Things kept on popping up last night. Heres a pretty good shot sorta from the back side of the latch. If you need anything else, let me know. I know that things are awful tight in there...

[IMG]local://upfiles/667/959C068A71B0456093749EBFF4552C98.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-12-2005, 02:13 PM
BF Veteran

Thanks for the pic.
He broke it off in the cab. I ended up unbolting the cable, then using my pocket knive to slice off the protective outer cover. It has steal reinforcement wires in it, had to cut those with some wire snipes. Then there is another protective cover, managed to pull the cable out and pop the hood using pliers. Wonder how much a new cable costs?

What a pain in the butt. Hoperfully I can reattach the cable, hopefully it has enough lenght to it. IF not time for a new one.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:32 PM
dennis is an unknown quantity at this point

That spring at the end of cable, can that be changed? whats it for?
thanks.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

Hanr3, They are pretty cheap, I usually use the old one, tape it to the new one in the cab then gently pull it through the firewall.

Dennis, the spring is to pull the cable back into the latch assy after you pull the handle in the cab. Basically to pull up the slack.

Korey

Old 01-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Well, Tim (hanr3) had this problem a very long time ago and has since fixed it. I do believe that he did replace the entire cable.

And Kordog's description of the function of the spring is spot on as always.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:30 AM
BlazerDaughter is an unknown quantity at this point

This must be a common thing. Mine happened to break when I got the hose hole. Had to use pliers in the cab to pull the wire.