Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Recommeded Transfer Case and Diff. Oil

Old 03-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Pur_SSyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recommeded Transfer Case and Diff. Oil

Instead of replacing the TX case and diff. fluid with factory recommended lubricants, do any of
you have a specific weight, or brand that has proven itself in your vehicle?

This is a daily driven vehicle, all year around. Moderate driving, very little towing with
occasional 4x4 use and offroading.

In particular, this question is directed for 1999 4x4 Blazer ZR2 owners.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Searched links:

https://blazerforum.com/m_65218/tm.htm

Fixed LONG search link

Old 03-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Recommeded Transfer Case and Diff. Oil

Not sure if the ZR2 was available with the Auto4WD option, but if it was, you are limited to Autotrak II fluid for the transfer case. You can use whatever 80w90 (or 75w90) gear lube you want in the front and rear diff.

But I guess that isn't what you were asking.. You'd like try something different than what was designed to be used... Good luck with that!

Old 03-25-2008, 04:10 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I've got Royal Purple 75w90 in my rear diff, and It feels much smoother on accelerations. I could just be imagining it, but when I was changing it out, feeling new RP compared to the old 80x90 that came out...the RP's going to flow and lubricate MUCH better.

I'm going to service my transfer case once the weather gets a bit warmer and I have more $$, so I too would love to hear any suggestions and experiences with synthetic transfer case fluid!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Autotrak II is already synthetic.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:53 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I thought Autotrak II was only for the Auto 4WD?

All my manual says for Transfer Case fluid is GM Automatic Transfer Case Fluid...so is that Autotrak II then?

Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Administrator

The two are not the same. But I do believe that the new GM stuff for the regular transfer cases is synthetic now.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:30 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Not sure if the ZR2 was available with the Auto4WD option, but if it was, you are limited to Autotrak II fluid for the transfer case. You can use whatever 80w90 (or 75w90) gear lube you want in the front and rear diff.

But I guess that isn't what you were asking.. You'd like try something different than what was designed to be used... Good luck with that!
Kyle,

That is not TRUE. I posted tonight on another thread that RED LINE mades a fluid I think it is MTL. Anyway, I had an 04 Trailblazer 4x4 that called for the AutoTrakII fluid. I contacted Red Line & they told me about their fluid. I used it in the 04 TB 4x4 with good results. I bought it from Jegs.com, but anyone that sells Red Line oil products can get it. The Red Line is like $6.95/qt. As I remember the GM oil was quite a bit more.
Craig

Old 03-26-2008, 12:38 AM
98BlazerLT4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know the capacities as well for the diffs/trans case. I don't have autotrack so I'm thinking Mobil 1 ATF.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:26 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: 4x4blazerguy

Kyle,

That is not TRUE. I posted tonight on another thread that RED LINE mades a fluid I think it is MTL. Anyway, I had an 04 Trailblazer 4x4 that called for the AutoTrakII fluid. I contacted Red Line & they told me about their fluid. I used it in the 04 TB 4x4 with good results. I bought it from Jegs.com, but anyone that sells Red Line oil products can get it. The Red Line is like $6.95/qt. As I remember the GM oil was quite a bit more.
Craig
And I responded in the other thread. Redline does not officially say that it is a valid replacement. No one does. Sure if you call them they'll tell you it'll work. Any phone support person can tell you that it'll work, but if it does work, why not publicly state it?? Shady. So it IS true that the only fluid GUARANTEED to work in the GM active transfer cases is Autotrak II.

I purchased Autotrak II from my dealer parts counter for $5.25/qt last year. No waiting. Was able to change out the TC fluid that evening.

Parts4Chevys.com has Autotrak II (PN 12378508) for $5.35.

98BlazerLT4x4 - If you do not have the Auto button on your dash next to the 4hi, 2hi, & 4lo buttons, then you can use any Dexron III compatible ATF. NP8 - NVG236 - 2.4qts, NP1 - NVG136 - 2.4qts, & NP4 - NVG233 - 2.3qts.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:38 PM
DCFluX is an unknown quantity at this point

My ZR2 has the auto 4x4 button.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommeded Transfer Case and Diff. Oil