2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1999 instrument cluster problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 02:10 AM
Hot Rod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1999 instrument cluster problem.

Hi.

I have a problem with my instrument cluster. It started as an intermittent problem but it now seems to be permanent...

The rpm, speed, fuel gauge and water temp do not work. I also think some of the warning lights do not work.

I´ve tried banging on top of it, I´ve had it out of the car looking for bad connections or visible signs of problems.

Anyone with a good guess on this?

If I need a new one (or used), is the milage stored in the cluster or somewhere else?

Old 05-03-2008, 10:55 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 1999 instrument cluster problem.

A fuse wouldn't be intermittent, it would be working one day and not the next. But check your fuses just in case.

Also, another member had an intermittent problem with his gear select indicator (PRND321). He took his cluster apart and found some cold solders and was able to fix it himself. Perhaps you have the same issue?

Here's the post for more info. CLICK

Old 05-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It sure sounds like there is a fault in the cluster. Have you opened it up and checked for cold solders on the circuit board. Some members have had good luck resoldering some connections (look for dull or cracked solders) on the circuit board. Most of the gauges show a reading based off of the class 2 serial data line communications. The tach and speedo use separate signals though, but the water temp and fuel level gauges are commanded via the class 2 serial data line. If everything that was having a problem were on the data line I would be more inclined to look closer at that. You may have a grounding issue, but that would affect more than just those 4 gauges.

If you do find that you need to replace the cluster, the replacement is fairly straight forward. A dealer should be able to reset the mileage as it is stored in two locations, the PCM, and the cluster. A procedure can be done to set the correct odometer reading on the cluster per the PCMs stored value. Being in Sweden, I'm not sure how familiar a Blazer is even to a GM dealership so I don't know how much they will be able to do. Your best bet for a cluster would probably be off of eBay and you should be able to find one with comparable mileage. You will need to have both clusters available and possibly have the dealership do the replacement if you do get one with lower mileage.

This is what I get for leaving this open for the last 4 hours without posting it... Kinda forgot about it when I went outside to change the transmission fluid in my lawn mower, then got caught up washing the lawn mower... Damn. Oh well.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:29 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Maybe stupid question but, I see in the owners manual (1999) that there is a fuse (No.4) for gauges, body control module & instrument cluster.Could it be this fuse? or does this fuse kill everything on the instrument panel?

Old 05-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This fuse would cut out the whole cluster and a fuse is not intermittent (ie. not working one minute, working the next).

Old 05-04-2008, 03:58 PM

Hi again and thanks for your replies.

Not much has happened to my cluster yet. Spring here in Sweden with lots of things to do... Like changing fluid in the lawn mower...

When I have some free time I will check all fuses and also examine the back of the cluster with magnifying glass to try to find the problem which I believe (hope)is a bad solder.

Blazer is not an unusual car here so I guess a dealer will be able to adjust the mileage if I need a new one? My cluster mileage is in KM som maybe I cannot buy one from your side of the water?

I will let you know what happens.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:43 PM

I think my old cluster is totally dead [:@]. I´ve had it out of the car and examined it with a magnifying glass, didn´t see anything strange. I´ve had it in the car with the engine running and pressed on every connection, every solder, tapped it, bend it gently but nothing happens...

Today I went to a junkyard nearby that had one and bought it (~$200) and now everything is working again. I was even so lucky that the mileage on the new cluster was almost the same as my car . And for info, the mileage shown now is the mileage of the new cluster.