Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Transfer case rattle/grinding ??

Old 06-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Starting Member
tkf5651 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfer case rattle/grinding ??

I have a rattle/grinding sound, it is more like a throaty ratlle, at first i thought it was exhaust, but seems to be transfer case related. I did a few searches, and saw that maybe I should have the fluids flushed/replaced, but wanted to get some more oppinions. It is most noticeable when accelerating from a stop, and is non-existant, or atleast not noticeable once I get started moving. When in park if i push the gas i get it a little bit and it seems to be coming from the t-case, I am not 100% positive though. It could be exhaust related and my hearing is just off, but I am going to check t-case first i think.

On a related note, the front differential decided to leak and squirt gear oil all over the place on the way home a couple days ago, halfway home i stopped at a valvoline and they filled it back up for me, said it was very hot and almost empty [:@], so I am currently looking for a good how to on front differential service, I will browse my haynes. I am hoping it is no more complicated than rear diff service, since I have already done that one. Eitehr way, I need to get the case off and check out those gears, and replace the case/gasket.

I am hoping this is not my jimmys way of dieing slowly, and that I can replace any trashed parts with stuff off my 98 2dr parts truck, but sounds way too easy.

Id appreciate any troubleshooting or repair tips and advice, as i will be going under this thing tomorrow at the shop to check it all out. Keep ion mind, the entire underside of this sucker is rusted to hell from 11 years in NY salt.

Thanks,
Tim.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:06 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Transfer case rattle/grinding ??

Front diff isn't really as easy as the rear[&o] Good luck with it though...

And I'm really hoping that you have the AutoTrac 4wd...if not...well let's just say I know what your problem is

Old 06-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Starting Member

Not sure about the autotrack, I dont think i have it. What do you think it is :S

Old 06-28-2008, 10:17 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

If your 4wd switch has 2HI, 4HI, 4LO, you've got the standard 4wd system. You have the Auto4wd (or is it Auto4HI?) button, basically auto anywhere on that sucker, you have autotrac.

BASICALLY, if you have the 1st one, with the selectable 4wd, then you should only have 4wd engaged when the wheels are free to slip. If you engage the front axle and drive line on a solid surface like asphalt (normal driving), then you're going to bind your gears and t-case through every turn, with normal acceleration and braking, etc. This would cause alot of noise, grinding, and slippage, as well as toasting your front differential to a nice brown. The kinda brown no one wants to eat...not even with cinnamon sugar and butter [:'(]

Here's to hoping you've got autotrac [&o]

Old 06-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Starting Member

I def. have standard 4wd, and haven't used 4WD since the winter, probably been about 4 months. It is not used excessively if that is what you were referring to, only in lots of snow. I posted that the front dif was leaking, but i think that is due to rust, will find out for sure tomorrow. haven't noticed any slippage, It operates normally, just with the rattle/grumble/grind noise at first acceleration. Thanks for all teh help, I hope somebody has some ideas before i dive under this thing in a few hours :S

Old 06-28-2008, 10:26 PM
BF Veteran

Phew...so you know not to engage the 4wd on pavement. Problem #1 eliminated

If I recall....the front drive shaft does still spin when in 2wd, but it doesn't have much force to it.. I guess the two problems could be related...but it seems like you have heat build up from the leak as you thought, and it sounds like your t-case is probably low on fluid.

The first thing I would check before dropping the t-case is the U joints. I believe if you have sloppy U joints you can get some grind off a start. Do you hear any clunk/thuds with sudden acceleration?

Old 06-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

Phew...so you know not to engage the 4wd on pavement. Problem #1 eliminated
I laughed when I saw this.

If I recall....the front drive shaft does still spin when in 2wd, but it doesn't have much force to it.. I guess the two problems could be related...but it seems like you have heat build up from the leak as you thought, and it sounds like your t-case is probably low on fluid.
It is quite possible that the t-case is low and/or leaking as well, knowing my luck something(s) somewhere is(are) rusted through and squirting fluids all over central new york.

The first thing I would check before dropping the t-case is the U joints. I believe if you have sloppy U joints you can get some grind off a start. Do you hear any clunk/thuds with sudden acceleration?
I have not attempted any sudden acceleration since i noticed the oil smell, but I guess I will attempt one when i get right outside the shop tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help, 128k+ on all the parts we are discussing so I cant really complain that much, but it sucks to have so much go wrong all at once [:@]

after this mess is over with its on to brakes...

Old 06-28-2008, 10:42 PM
BF Veteran

Haha yea I hear ya on that....I've got two warped rotors and most likely 100k mile old brake fluid

Old 06-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Starting Member

Ah, I did rotors last summer, lol. I am not looking forward to the rusted up brake lines that i gotta replace. While im at it, im going to do pads as well.

edit: just got back from the shop, Front diff is spewing oil everywhere, so I ended up just topping everything off, and going to get her washed so it would be easier to see where it was leaking. I guess where the front diff meets the driveshaft there is a bad leak, and where the tranny meets the engine there is also a leak, neither of which is good. It looks like I am going to be getting a real mechanic to help me out with this stuff, Its beyond me at this point.

The good news is it seems to be gaskets that are leaking, so the parts cost should be low, but unless i get a smart friend to help me do it, labor costs will be obnoxious.