1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

How much oil/oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:25 PM
FoxTrota is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much oil/oil filter

Hey i have a 1991 Chevy Blazer s10, I'm doing an oil change and i was just wondering how much oil does my engine take? I bought 5 quarts because i knew it was either 4 or 5.

On more question, Which way do i twist the oil filter to remove it. Its located on the drivers side in front of the headlight. Counterclockwise or Clockwise?

And any other tips would be cool too

Old 08-10-2008, 10:45 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: How much oil/oil filter

5 quarts and for the filter its clockwise to remove it remember righty tighty lefty loosy

Old 08-10-2008, 10:51 PM
rockfoot is an unknown quantity at this point

That might be anti-clockwise to remove it....

Old 08-11-2008, 05:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If viewed from the end of the filter, you turn it counter-clockwise.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

Do not turn the oil filler cap...it is a push-in type and does not unscrew. If you turn it CCW in an attempt to remove it, you will unscrew the filler tube from the valve cover.

The 4.3L engine oil pan has a4-quart ca[acityand aAC Delco PF-52 oil filter holds less than a quart. However, the remote oil filter and oil cooler lines on a 4-wheel drive Blazer will hold an unknown abount of oil. Five quarts should be more than enough to bring the oil level to the full mark on the dipstick. Pour4-1/2 quarts in the engine and check the dipstickafter you run the engine for a minute. If it needs more oil to bring it to the full mark on the dipstick, add what is left of the 5th quart. Most people, myself included, just pour 5 quarts in the engine and are done with it.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Who said anything about twisting a cap??

Old 08-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Banned

I am sorry, my mistake. I thought the reference was to the oil filler cap....I did not realize there may be someonewhodoes not know how to unscrew anoil filter.I should quit trying to assume anything.

Unlike oil filters, some oil filler caps are twist-on types and some are push-on types. Many grease monkeys at the fast oil change establishments try to unscrew the V6 Chevy oill filler cap.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:36 PM
FoxTrota is an unknown quantity at this point

It was counterclockwise because the filter screws up, Someone at the repair shop had tightened it way too tight i wasn't sure which way i would have to turn it, the screwdriver trick didn't even work, eventually i used one of those rubber band hadi-wrenches from as seen on TV lol. but the oil drained for 2 days so it should be fresh an clean. Thank you everyone!

Old 08-13-2008, 07:24 AM
Banned

Beware of the grease monkeys in repair shops and quickie oil change establishments. They overtightenoil filters for two reasons. One is theCYA program be cause they do not want a possible leak and and a libility issue and two, they do not want the customer changing their own oil. They want the customer to bring the car back to them to get the filter off.

I was in a hurry last Marchand had my oil changed at a NAPA Service Center and the gorilla in the oil change bay routinely overtightened the oil filer.A day later, I wanted to replace the NAPA filter with an AC DelcofiltersbutI could not removethe NAPA filter the gorillainstalled. I took it back to the service center and told them to loosen it so I could take it off. After a few minutes trying to loosen the filter, atechnician came into the lobby and asked the shop manager,"Who put that filter on?" The shop manager told the technician, "You did!"and showed him the work order.The technician shrugged andwent back into the shop and finally loosened it. They gave me a free oil change for my trouble but I installed the filter this time and use my AC Delco oil filiter.

K-D Tools makes a excellent band type, 3/8" square driveoil filter wrench that can be used with a 3/8" drive ratchet and a extension on a Blazer with 4WD that has a remote oil filter. It has no leveron it that would get in the way in a tight location such as a 4X4Blazer. K-D Tools are becoming difficult to find atyour local auto parts stores. I have two K-D oil filter wrenches in different size ranges for older carsbut I had to buy a #2380 K-D band type, 3/8" square drive, oil filter wrenchon-line that expands from 2-13/16" to 3-1/16" which is for the size need for the oil filter on aBlazer.

I will add that you should never used atool to install an oil filter.They should be tightened only hand tight, 1/2 turn after you first feel the resistance of the gasket on the housing.The red nitrile rubber oil filter gaskets used today are different from the old black neoprene gaskets usedmanyyears ago. Nitrile rubber does not harden or shrink like neoprene rubber tharefore you do not have to tighten the oil fitlers as much to avoid leaks with the nitrilke rubber gaskets like you did with the old neoprene gaskets.The $8.00 per hour grease monkeys have not become aware of that yet so you need to explain it to them...... if you can.