Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Does anyone know what it is called?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Starting Member
S10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does anyone know what it is called?

Ok, so I recently had a wheel alignment done and the guy that did it showed me why I still have a lot of play in my steering wheel. On the steering shaft, that is located in the engine bay that connects to the steering gear box, there is a piece, that goes in between them. That piece is broken.

So yesterday, I went to Advance Auto Parts, and bought something called, "Steering Coupler (Rag Joint)". I took it back to my mechanic so that he could compare it, and it was not the right one because it seemed that it had a larger diameter than the one on my truck. So now, the only thing left to do, is buy the whole steering shaft from the dealer, which is about $300.

My questions are, 1. Is that what that part is called, Steering Coupler?

2. Is there anywhere else that I could find a brand new shaft for less money?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:41 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Does anyone know what it is called?

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...PartNumber=200 do you have an advanced auto store near you? 32.99 near me for that part your looking for..

Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 AM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point

rockauto.com usually has pretty cheap parts. don't know if they have what you're looking for but they are usually pretty good about having everything. their database is usually very deailed also.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:52 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

You could replace the crappy rag joint with a much stronger and tighter feeling ujoint. If interested, I can post up how to do this mod, though from another site.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:20 PM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: 2002XTREME

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...PartNumber=200 do you have an advanced auto store near you? 32.99 near me for that part your looking for..
That is the same exact brand, and part number that I purchased at Advance, and when I took it out and compared it, the diameter of it look a lot bigger than my stock one. I also took it to my mechanic, and he said it is not the one. So I called another Advance, and they actually took out the same part number and measured the diameter for me, to make sure it was the same exact one and it was. It measures about 3 1/4", and looks bigger than the oneI havenow.

I appreciate all the help, but I think my only option is going to be going to the dealer. I'm really not interested in doing any custom work on this shaft, but again, I appreciate your help.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:34 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

AJBert

Ah, yes, that would be nice if you could provide a link to that mod.

I've been thinking in replacing the original ones with bolted-on "Uniball" joints once worn out on original parts. Safes the hassle of pressing them off.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:43 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Its a rag joint and it doesn't matter if the diameter is bigger. As long as it fits the steering box and shaft it will work fine.

The u-joint mod is the best. I have a jeep shaft on mine with u-joints.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:11 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Here is the write up using a Jeep steering shaft. The pics don't come up but it will tell you what you need to know.
http://www.zr2usa.com/mboard/index.php?showtopic=5805

This was taken out of another post on replacing the rag joint with a commercially available u-joint and shaft:
Cost was a $100 shipped from Summit racing. Part numbers are fla-fr1733dd for u-joint and fla-fr1850 for shaft. I removed the old shaft off of the steering box and then off of the column. There is a double d shaped coupling made into the old shaft. I melted the plastic lock holding the coupling into the old shaft and removed it. I installed the u-joint onto the new shaft per the instructions that came with the u-joint. I then slid the joint onto the steering box and marked the length that the new shaft needed to be cut. Be sure to cut it a inch shorter so that you will have room to slide it up past the spline on the steering box, after it is slid up on the steering column. After cuting it to length I then welded the coupling, removed from the old shaft, onto the new shaft. Slide the assembly onto the steering column and down onto the steering box, tighten the set screw and your finished. Took about 2 hours, but that was with figuring on how to do it. [/align]

When mine finally goes on me I'll be doing one of the two.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:47 AM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: neo71665

Its a rag joint and it doesn't matter if the diameter is bigger. As long as it fits the steering box and shaft it will work fine.

The u-joint mod is the best. I have a jeep shaft on mine with u-joints.
Well, I still never got to have this replaced, but I am planning on getting it fixed very soon. After going to the dealer, they told me that they don't sell just the coupler. I have to buy the whole shaft for about $300. But I really wishI only had to spend the $30 at Advance rather than $300.

I thought the same thing about the size, but my mechanic was telling me that since the one from Advance Auto is larger in diameter, it will hit what I believe is the inner fender. Does anyone know the diameter of the stock steering coupler?

Old 01-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Beginning Member
jayfourn8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you handy with the lathe? Welder?

Could probably fab something up for way cheaper.