Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

94 s10 blazer motor swap help?

Old 12-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Charlie94s10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 94 s10 blazer motor swap help?

This is actually my first time on any forum a close friend told me it was the best way to get help doing this.

I have a 94 s10 blazer with avortec 4.3 and i was wanting to swap the motor with a 97 4.3 out of a 97s10 blazer i was wondering if the wire harness would match up or if i would have to replace it?

also i have takin out the rear drive, shaft transfer case, and transmission to where i can see the torque converter and back of the motor i was wondering how exactly do you get the motor detatched from the motor mounts to where i can take the motor out with an engine lift....

any help would be great!

Thanks,

Charlie

Old 12-09-2008, 01:26 AM
mrafindley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 94 s10 blazer motor swap help?

have to change complete harness pluss tranny and fuel pump and all computers and abs system you need 93-95 engine. You can use the block but that is it

Old 12-09-2008, 10:14 AM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

He could use the long block and swap the intakes right?

Old 12-10-2008, 01:24 AM
mrafindley is an unknown quantity at this point

no the heads are different

Old 12-10-2008, 02:19 PM
stevo is an unknown quantity at this point

i cant help you with the fitting or anything
but i DO know that in a 97, which i believe is a 2nd gen
you will have to take the front bumper, radiator, and core support
off to pull the motor out of the front. it wont come out unless you do
im sure you already knew that
but you can get to the fron mounts if you take all that off
the back mounts i dont have a clue
hope i helped =]
-steven

Old 09-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Beginning Member
latunguley is on a distinguished road

I have a similar issue here. I have a 1995 with a blown motor, crank and bearing went out. Now the local salvage yard i've been dealing with sold me a 1998 s-10 blazer motor to install in it. The heads seem to be the same? The valve covers are the same. The distributor has the plug wires coming out of the left and right as does the 95 motor. He did offer me a 96 motor but the plug wires came straight out the top of the distributor cap. I have been informed by many a mechanic that its imposible to install the 95 intake and distributor into the 96 with the plug wires going up instead of left to right? So the yard man sugested that we locate another motor. We found a 1998 4.3 v-6 with the plug wires coming out of the left and right sides of the distributor cap. I understand i may have to change the oild pan and the intake. But everything else seems to be in check? Please if anyone else has come across this before please feel free to contact me asap. Thanks

Old 10-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Beginning Member
latunguley is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by latunguley
I have a similar issue here. I have a 1995 with a blown motor, crank and bearing went out. Now the local salvage yard i've been dealing with sold me a 1998 s-10 blazer motor to install in it. The heads seem to be the same? The valve covers are the same. The distributor has the plug wires coming out of the left and right as does the 95 motor. He did offer me a 96 motor but the plug wires came straight out the top of the distributor cap. I have been informed by many a mechanic that its imposible to install the 95 intake and distributor into the 96 with the plug wires going up instead of left to right? So the yard man sugested that we locate another motor. We found a 1998 4.3 v-6 with the plug wires coming out of the left and right sides of the distributor cap. I understand i may have to change the oild pan and the intake. But everything else seems to be in check? Please if anyone else has come across this before please feel free to contact me asap. Thanks
I have to add now that a few weeks of research and answers are under my belt? This question was very stupid?? I found that NO! No i could not be able to swap this 98 motor into a 95 blazer. Not even close. But the yard selling the 98 motor to me thought wrong but thought i could pull this off easilly?? NOT! Its been pulled off? Sorta? Ya have to use a little backwoods know how. You have to ream out the intake bolt holes very large. Large enough to accomidate the bolts going straight down in instead of at the angle they are ment to go. Followed by alot of Gasket goo!! Not what i'd call a good job in the end that i'd put my personal stamp upon?? Ya know what i mean? Now if it were my only vehicle and someone next to gave me a 98 motor for free and i wanted my blown up 95 blazer to run again? And guarantees werent an issue? Yes i might just attemp this feet? Would i charge anyone to do this job?? Well depends? If the customer comes to me with the money and acknowledges the facts at hand? And claims full responsibilies for any wrongful issues that may arrive from doing such a job? Yeah ok now we have something. So if anyone else reads this? And wants to attemp it please do some more research than this. It may and/or may not hold true?? I insisted that the yard seller of the 98 find me the correct 1995 style motor and then would i be satisfied. Now he came through as originally promised and all i have left to do is chnage out the motors at hand. Thank you all for reading. Hope it helps you some day?

Old 10-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is one stupid yard owner/operator... Why would you even consider doing something like this? You could have quickly and easily found this information in other threads stating that you cannot/should not do what you are proposing. I can say with a lot of certainty that you will have intake manifold gasket problems doing what you are proposing. You would be much better off reusing the heads from the 95 motor as they will atleast bolt on as is without hacking up things. Sure you can open up holes and force things to go together... That doesn't mean that it will last at all. Why would you put your reputation on a jerry rigged mess such as you have proposed??? Just ridiculous.