Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

4.2 Vortec swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 08:08 AM
ioogy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4.2 Vortec swap

My stock 4.3 is gettin some miles on it. So instead of the normal rebuild, i was thinkin about gettin a lil exotic. Just wondering if you guys had any Pros and Cons for stuffin a vortec 4200 I6 instead of the 4.3 rebuild. The I6 is rated at 270hp and 275lb-ft of torque from the factory. The only real concerns i have are the size of the engine, the possibility of the cylinder sleeves coming loose (as some have been reported of doing), and mounting differences. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. My fantasy would be to stick the new supercharged caddy 4.4L (http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...c/0504em_cady/) in my LT... : D

Old 02-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4.2 Vortec swap

I would think that the Caddy v8 would be easier (not necessarily cheaper for the engine anyway) than the I6. The problem with the I6 is that it is going to be close to twice the length of the v6 you've got in there. With a v8, you're only gaining a couple of inches, but with I6, its probably closer to a foot! Another thing going against the caddy motor is the width of it. The DOHC N* engine is a WIDE engine. I don't think that you will have problems, but the areas to be concerned with are the HVAC housing and AC filter/dryer and the brake master cylinder. Not to mention the bolt pattern, motor mounts, etc.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:49 PM
ioogy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea, i found some info in a similar post on an S-10 forum. Seems someone has tried it before and the 4.2 wouldnt fit ( http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81769 ,last post). Too bad really,it would definatly be a badass motor in a blazer: ).

Old 03-07-2006, 05:49 PM
2001blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

is that caddy the northsatr engine if it is those babys rock my gpa has gone through 3 different caddy devilles wit them in there. there powerfull and hold up well. never any trouble. on the other hand my dad had a 2000 deville DTS fully loaded when it first came out and that was honestly almost as fast as his bmw 745i with a 4.4 in it. the beamer had a 6 speed in it though and was a little bit more race like. but if u supercharged that baby WATCHOUT!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, he is speaking of the new STS-V supercharged northstar engine. The Northstar's as a whole have issues that I won't get into unless someone wants/needs to know. Yes they are remarkable engines with TONS of power and make for a very fun car, but given the choice between a Bonneville GXP and my Bonneville SSEi, I'd rather have my trusty L67 3800 Series II supercharged over the 4.6L Northstar any day!

Old 03-07-2006, 08:45 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Wait until you have a leaky upper intake manifold Kyle. [&o] I have to get a new one.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Administrator

The L67s don't have that exact problem. Mine has leaked, but it is a relatively easy fix it was barely weeping out along a bolt for the lower intake manifold. The L36 in your Impala is a different story. Those tend to leak internally. The engine block is about the only thing that the L36 and the L67 have in common.

The northstars have headgasket trouble and cylinder liner seal trouble. Both of which are major $$$ to fix.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:03 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Did a pressure test when cold and it leaked near the t body. New updated upper intake on its way.