Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

hesitation/hiccup/bucking @ 2k rpm.. ideas?

Old 01-23-2009, 08:20 PM
ptg327 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: hesitation/hiccup/bucking @ 2k rpm.. ideas?

anybody got anything to say? I unpluged the TPS and it didnt do anything so im guessin that would be the problem.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

TPS is easy enough to test...

Old 01-27-2009, 05:06 PM

WellI replaced the TPS and it is still acting like a turd. anybody got anything because im stumped

Old 01-28-2009, 06:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you test anything before just throwing parts at it?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:22 AM

Nope, I just rushed into it.I know I should have but i just prayed that it was a simple sensor swap. May I ask what you suggest? Also my problem is slightly different. When i am stopped and put my foot on the gas it won't rev or anything it just bucks, hicups, misses and such. But onceI keep my foot down long enough maybe for about fivetofifteen seconds it runs and goes like perfect. When i stop at a stop sign or at a light, it more than half the time will stall out.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Administrator

I suggest you test it as I suggested above... Plenty of information is available here and through a quick Google search.

If you do not have a good ground, the proper 5V reference voltage to the TPS sensor, or the PCM is not getting the appropriate information from the sensor, then replacing the sensor will do nothing. At that point, it is a wiring issue not a sensor issue. Wiring can be fun and you need to be diligent to work through it.

And that is not saying that it is the TPS sensor to begin with. It is possible that a knock sensor is picking up something that it does not like at that specific RPM, causing the PCM to retard timing, further causing the hesitation you note. It could be something completely different as well, but you always need a starting point for any diagnosis or you will just end up replacing parts haphazardly which may fix the problem sooner or later, but will not be kind to your wallet.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:17 PM
corvette535 is an unknown quantity at this point

well i'm gonna check it out tomorrow. i'll start with the ground wire and test out the tps... the other thing i heard was the igition coil could be a problem... any merit to this? how should i test it?

I only get the problem at around 70mph....i tried to get it to hiccup at other speeds at 2k under light throttle and it seems fine. since most of my driving in this thing is under 65 its not a problem, but i'd like to solve it so i can travel a little faster if need be.

thanks!

Old 02-06-2009, 06:20 PM

Ok so I checked the TPS wires and came up with a solid 5v. Then went on to fuel pressure. With the ignition key in theon position(not started) it jumped to 70 and settled at about 63,64. Then i went to the distributor which was loose for some reason. I fixed that but in the process I put the wires back on wrong because the previous owner had the distributor in the wrong wayso when i put the wires back onwhere they should have beenand started it.KA BOOM goes my muffler. Anyway thats all squared away now that the distributor is where it should be. ButI am still having the same issues listed in above posts???

Old 02-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Having 5V at the TPS sensor is only half of the equation. You also need to make sure that the output goes between 0.5V at closed throttle and 4.5V at wide open throttle.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:54 PM

I did a real good run down of the wires and found no problems. Should i still check it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hesitation/hiccup/bucking @ 2k rpm.. ideas?