Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Rebuilt trans now has no 3rd or 4th gear.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Beginning Member
1blkblazer422 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rebuilt trans now has no 3rd or 4th gear.

I recently had my transmission rebuilt about 3 months ago on my 98 Blazer 4wd. Since the rebuild I have put about 2000 miles on the tranny. Now the truck will shift from 1-2 no problem at all but wont go into 3rd or overdrive. I have tried manually shifting it but it wont go past second. It goes into reverse,1st and 2nd no problem. I checked level and it was norm. The only thing I did before this started happening was replaced my wires due to a cracked wire. Also there are no SES codes either. The guy who rebuilt it no longer lives in the area so I am on here looking for ideas. Thanks

Old 04-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1blkblazer422
...The only thing I did before this started happening was replaced my wires due to a cracked wire. ...
Could you clarify on what you mean here exactly? And was the trans rebuilt stock, or did you have any HD/Performance stuff added?

Old 04-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry I meant that I had a cracked spark plug wire and replaced all my spark plug wires. The tranny has no HD stuff just stock. Thanks

Old 04-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Any kind of warranty on the transmission? 3 months and 2k miles is quite short for something to go wrong... Have you contacted the shop which performed the rebuild?

Old 04-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Beginning Member

It was a guy I worked with that did it. I pulled the tranny and had him rebuild it then I put it back in. Is it just weird timing that right after I put spark plug wires in this happened?

Old 04-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would talk with him and see what he says.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Starting Member
Johns1987Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like the governer has either stripped the plastic gear, springs or weights are stuck, or the 3-4 servo is stuck. Google you problem and a **** load of stuff will come up.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Administrator

98 = 4L60E == no governor. The 3-4 servo is a plausible cause, but would not cause a loss of 3rd gear.

The No 3rd or 4th gear symptom chart lists the 2-3 shift solenoid valve as the item to check, checking for sediment in the valves, a faulty electrical connection, and/or a damaged seal.

The wiring can be quite easy to damage when installing the pan if one is not careful.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Beginning Member

Ok so im gonna drop the pan and check out the wiring. Does anyone have a picture or can tell me where the 2-3 shift solenoid is located? Also if the solenoid was the problem would it have a code for it? I remember the guy told me after around 3k or so to change the filter and put fresh fluid in it.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Administrator

You could have one of the following codes:
P0756 - Shift Solenoid B Performance or Stuck Off
P0758 - Shift Solenoid B Electrical

Have a look at this schematic:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rebuilt trans now has no 3rd or 4th gear.