Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

aux - stock tape deck mod. for inputs

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Starting Member
Debonair is on a distinguished road

interesting mod. i've seen the aux input before, similar to the bose corvette one. a lot of people have done it with the older camaros, i'll have to check and see if the guy still does them.

and mr vis. you and i are in a similar boat, i want aftermarket radio perks but want to retain my steering wheel controls. i have found a harness that would allow you to do so if you switch to an aftermarket head unit.

**also a while ago i was looking into radio alternatives. i came across a device that looks like a tape, but you slide an SD card in it with music, pop the tape in, and it plays. i'm not too sure of the sound quality though

Old 01-11-2011, 04:32 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

the biggest issue i have with swapping out the factory head unit is in losing the SCV option.

i just want to be able to have a couple of RCA's out the back for an amp (or two), be able to plug in a disc changer (anyone have a working factory one? ) and not have to turn up the volume when getting on the highway. or turning it back down when i get off for that matter.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:13 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
...............and not have to turn up the volume when getting on the highway. or turning it back down when i get off for that matter.
exactly why i made mine work.

if it werent so cold i would look into this.
the mod i did "fed" the input from the cassette with new source ...so i would think that anything could be wired in like that. using the existing harness. technically i can still play normal cassettes its kind of a piggy back thing. as far as amp..that would be good idea.

edit: found this

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4...4.html?tp=2001

rca for stock headunits.

Last edited by warthogdriver; 01-11-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:52 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
edit: found this

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4...4.html?tp=2001

rca for stock headunits.
yeah, i've seen those converters before @ my local BestBuy & Future Shop's.

doubt i'll ever get rid of the Blazer (like i ever "sell" any of my vehicles!) but i'd like to NOT hack the factory wiring. i'd probably use the wiring tails from one of the parts truck(s) and wire it like that.

i was planing on digging into playing with the factory AUX input on mine (currently console TD) in the spring, 'cause i'd rather have a shuttle stashed away somewhere in the back.

plus it gives me more room for another mod i have in the works.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Starting Member
Davmanfie33 is on a distinguished road

A free to play gaming web site which has a focus on web motor games. Thrash a good number of different vehicles including off-road dirt racing devils, on-road grand prix style racers & even tricked out stunt style cars. Car Games

Old 02-19-2011, 12:40 AM
prhammer is on a distinguished road

I just completed this modification on my 2000 Blazer. Thanks for the great instructions! Works like a charm. I had thought that I might be able to use an actual cassette tape with the tape taken out - but I had the same problem that an earlier poster did. The player would play for a few seconds, reverse directions and then eject. When I used the cd adapter (I had to leave the "guts" in it), then it played like a champ. If someone can figure out which wire we need to ground so that a tape doesn't have to be in the player that would be great. Until then - I'm happy that I can use my Ipod - and it sounds much better than when I was actually using the cassette adapter. (And it's a lot cheaper than all those other options!)

Old 02-19-2011, 12:54 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

glad to help

Old 05-29-2011, 08:15 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

This sounds like a great mod... but reading through it, it sounds like I'd need a working tape deck to do am I right?

If so, it seems like this is a no go on this one for me.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:35 PM
BF Veteran

what is not working on the tape deck?
it may still work.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:39 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Not entirely sure what's up with it except that when I pop a tape in it, nothing happens. I shoved the tape all the way in and it just popped back out when I moved my finger. Almost like it has no power to it.

Quick Reply: aux - stock tape deck mod. for inputs