Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Zr2 vs. Non zr2

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:54 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Logan
It does not have larger wheels. Still a 15x7" wheel.
Did someone say they came with a different sized wheel? Cause you're right, they dont. The ZR2's came with the PA3 rims (same as on my truck and same as in the forum banner).

Old 12-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
I think that is a myth. I dont have the lower plastic piece( the one with the door for the oil filter) and mine was fine all summer. The temp was always at the normal spot no matter how i was driving.
After I hit a dog with my Bravada, I ran without that panel and my temps were consistently high. I know it is not a myth, but results may vary and it really depends on your speed and conditions. My cousin's S10 had the same symptoms after he tore his plastic bumper valance and the lower skid shield off on a rock. If your fan shroud is nice and tightly fitted, it shouldn't have as much of an affect, but the fan definitely has to work harder to pull air through the radiator.

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
that's what i was refering to, since all of the other points (U & LCA's, other ancillary brackets) are merely added to the assembley as it moves down the line, same as a 2WD front cross member would be welded in.

so technically, they're the same.
That depends on what you are calling the frame then now doesn't it. Since the frame was not "built" on the main vehicle assembly line but at a separate (and sometimes off site) weld shop, then it would be a completely separate part number when the truck was assembled. Now there are likely many individual parts that make up the frame (rails - possibly, cross members towards the back of the truck - likely, fuel tank brackets - yeah, etc.) that are identical between the ZR2 and non-ZR2 frame. That doesn't make the frames the same though... Semantics I know...

But I am sure that some industrious person with the right tools could cut off all of the ZR2 specific brackets and cross members and weld them back onto a non-ZR2 frame. But in the end, it would just be easier to do a SFA.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Logan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
But I am sure that some industrious person with the right tools could cut off all of the ZR2 specific brackets and cross members and weld them back onto a non-ZR2 frame. But in the end, it would just be easier to do a SFA.

Yep. But some people would want the IFS.

Anyone want a complete ZR2 suspension???

Old 12-03-2009, 12:06 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Yep. But some people would want the IFS.

Anyone want a complete ZR2 suspension???
Front and Rear? (free? )

Old 12-03-2009, 12:36 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

It does not have larger wheels. Still a 15x7" wheel.
not larger wheels, Large wheel and axle bearings. i dunno for sure, i just copied it from a 4x4 site that broke down the ZR2 package...

Old 12-03-2009, 05:33 PM

ZR2 and non ZR2 call for the same wheel bearings in the front. The rear is bigger, because its an 8.5" not the 7.5" or 7.65"

Old 12-03-2009, 06:31 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

makes sense. clears that up then. i didn't know what they meant but with bigger diff components come bigger other stuff

Old 12-03-2009, 07:06 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by logan
yep. But some people would want the ifs.

Anyone want a complete zr2 suspension???
free???

Old 12-03-2009, 08:40 PM

Not free... Ill work out a price...

Old 12-03-2009, 09:29 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sisk
That has to do with the position of the fuel tank. The 4dr's spare tire is located under the rear of the truck, which is where the fuel tank is on 2drs (since their spare tire is either on the rack on the back or inside).
The fuel tank on 4drs is skinny and long and runs up towards the driver side doors. The fuel tank on 2drs is big and square and sits right under the trunk area.
so it's a double edged sword for the fuel system. you 2 door guys have it easy for pump replacement, but have that stupid rear carrier on he back. whereas my 4 door have the crappy pump location, stupid spare spot, but a nice 'n smooth as....i mean butt.

Not free... Ill work out a price...
and is that front only? or are you gonna beef the rear too?

Quick Reply: Zr2 vs. Non zr2