Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

dangers of seafoam?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:07 PM
jaybird33081 is on a distinguished road

cool i will put it in the oil right b4 i do an oil change. then do the gas one after that, as far as the vacum I might have to study up on the chilton manual lol

Old 01-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Starting Member
musclecar70sfan is on a distinguished road

You wanna drive it for a little bit first to let the seafoam do its job just don't exceed 200 miles. Chiltons manual? Why? The vacuum part is really easy. Here's the tutorial that I used:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...-your-car.html
They're talking about LS1 f-bodies but it's all the same.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:54 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

ok, i've gotta ask, since i've never done the seafoam before.

it sounds like it does the (pretty much) same thing as when you poured a large coffee cup of diesel fuel down your carb (with the engine running of course!), and near the end, just let the diesel fuel choke you car (truck) off. start it up the next morning, and you're good to go.

is this what the seafoam does?

Old 01-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

kind of, tho i dont know if id let it sit over night. i let mine sit about 20 minutes.

i can vouch for the seafoam tho. i used an entire bottle in the vacuum. 1/2 the bottle each time about two weeks apart.

since i got my blazer i had an ugly pre ignition ping under load that wouldnt go away, and a piston slap/ knock below 30 F. Both gone.

I cant be 100% that the seafoam did it because i switched to full synthetic oil at the same time. But i am 99% positive.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking of seafoaming my 94 Blazer 4.3 Vortec. The guy rhat made me my "custom" catalytic converter has been around for some time and he is a real advocate of the process. He explained to me that what it does is kind of like steam cleaning the combustion chamber when you dribble it down the brake booster hose and when you flood it at the end and let it sit about 20 minutes, it actually absorbs and loosens the carbon in the top end. That's why you have the big smokeout. This is how he has done it for a long time so I'll trust his judgement. He didn't steer me wrong on some other stuff. We used to do the carb thing with water when I was a pup. I've never heard of using diesel. Kinda makes sense though.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:17 PM
jaybird33081 is on a distinguished road

hey jsm, when you switched to full synthetic did you have to do anything special like go half/half for a change the go with all synthetic or did you just do an oil change and use all synthetic when you refilled?

Old 01-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

i jumped right to full synthetic. i had some rear main seal weeping (cant call it a leak or drip) for a couple months but that is gone now.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:42 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jsmz
kind of, tho i dont know if id let it sit over night. i let mine sit about 20 minutes.

i can vouch for the seafoam tho. i used an entire bottle in the vacuum. 1/2 the bottle each time about two weeks apart.

since i got my blazer i had an ugly pre ignition ping under load that wouldnt go away, and a piston slap/ knock below 30 F. Both gone.

I cant be 100% that the seafoam did it because i switched to full synthetic oil at the same time. But i am 99% positive.

the sitting over night was in reference to pouring diesel down the carb, not the Seafoam. i'd be sure to follow their directions closely if (when?) i use thier product.

see, that's my biggest worry. i've got the typical lifter "click", and really don't want to cause a bigger issue, but it sounds like it clears up oil passages as well. is it the same Seafoam, or is there a different one for the oil (i throw in a bottle of Lucas with every other oil change, it's too expansive to do it each month).

Originally Posted by Gimpy Blazer
I'm thinking of seafoaming my 94 Blazer 4.3 Vortec. The guy rhat made me my "custom" catalytic converter has been around for some time and he is a real advocate of the process. He explained to me that what it does is kind of like steam cleaning the combustion chamber when you dribble it down the brake booster hose and when you flood it at the end and let it sit about 20 minutes, it actually absorbs and loosens the carbon in the top end. That's why you have the big smokeout. This is how he has done it for a long time so I'll trust his judgement. He didn't steer me wrong on some other stuff. We used to do the carb thing with water when I was a pup. I've never heard of using diesel. Kinda makes sense though.

water/diesel fuel/Seafoam, it all sounds like the same application.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:22 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Actually from what I've read, heard and seen on the Sea Foam website (you know they had to have one) you use 1/3 can in the vacuum booster hose, 1/3 in the oil and the other 1/3 in the gas tank. The Sea Foam website has some instructional videos on how to do it. This stuff is actually supposed to bond and loosen the carbon in the top end not just "steam clean" it. Who knows though? I've just heard it really works. We'll see. I have 185,000+ miles on my motor. It's also supposed to unstick rings and any sticking lifters. If it would only regrow hair...

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 01-06-2010 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-06-2010, 08:02 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by Gimpy Blazer
.....If it would only regrow hair...

Quick Reply: dangers of seafoam?!