1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

where is horn relay located?

Old 01-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Starting Member
rastoma is on a distinguished road
Default where is horn relay located?

93 s10 blazer, 4.3 W

There is supposed to be a horn relay besides the fuse. I know the location of the fuse, but trying to diagnose why horn doesn't work.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:44 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

According to my 94 Service Manual, it's located in the "Convenience Center" although I don't think it's very convenient. You have to remove the interior panel under the steering column and to the left you will see a relay, alarm module and flasher. The horn relay is the square looking one on the lower left.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gimpy Blazer
According to my 94 Service Manual, it's located in the "Convenience Center" although I don't think it's very convenient. You have to remove the interior panel under the steering column and to the left you will see a relay, alarm module and flasher. The horn relay is the square looking one on the lower left.
That would be correct.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Starting Member

Great thanks.

It's a general relay right? Meaning it can be swapped with another to diagnose?

Old 01-09-2010, 06:00 PM

I have to look. What's the problem anyway? You might pull it and compare it to another one that's easily accessable. I'll check my wiring diagram. Man, relays are cheap.
Checked wiring diagram.
Don't want to wear you out but most of the time they aren't working.
This is a pretty simple relay - only 3 pins. I don't remember seeing any other 3 pin relays on my vehicle - not to say there aren't any. This system is pretty easy to troubleshoot. Basically you have a hot wire (Orange) that goes to slot L on the convenience center (CC) (relay pin 1). When you press the horn button, it grounds the relay through the CC slot M (relay pin 3) and the relay then closes supplying voltage through CC slot N (relay pin 2) and out the Dark Green wire to the horn. If the horn isn't working I would check the following.
1) Horn mounting bolt for being clean and tight - this is the ground for the horn.
2) Pull the relay and jump between CC slots L & N. If the horn sounds, the manual says to replace the relay.
3) With relay removed hook up a meter for continuity between CC slot M and ground and press the horn button - should have little or no resistance (infinity)
4) Check for voltage with test light or meter at CC slot L - this is your "hot at all times" wire (Orange)
5) Beat on the horn a little - sometimes they stick. A little WD 40 sometimes does the trick too.

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 01-10-2010 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Spelling & tests
Old 01-10-2010, 02:37 AM
Starting Member

Wow Gimpy, that's pretty cool.

Thank you so much for the time and effort in listing that. You along with the other regulars that take the time to go the extra mile in offering assistance makes this place pretty awesome

I just wasn't checking the correct items. I didn't know there was a horn relay until a couple of days ago so I was just trying to troubleshoot based on the horn fuse and the wiring to the horn. The horn just doesn't work. But I'm going to go through the steps you listed tomorrow and hopefully will finally be able to pinpoint the fault.

Did you get that info from a service manual? I have a Haynes book but I didn't see anything like that in it.

Thanks again.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:55 AM

I got some of it from the S/M (factory is the only way to go man), some from the wiring diagram and some of it from experience and seeing the obvious. Never had any luck with Haynes. Chilton only slightly better. You can still buy the factory books. They have saved me a bunch of time and money. Worth every dime and they ain't cheap. Sometimes you can find them on e-bay if you wait long enough. There are 3 manuals that make up the set although you really don't need the "Unit Repair Manual" unless you're going to overhaul something. Let ,e know if you want the website.