Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

automatic locking hubs

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Beginning Member
88K5blaze is on a distinguished road
Default automatic locking hubs

andbody, know of any auto locking hubs for an 88 K5, im new here so sorry if its been asked before. automatic 5.7 TBI

Old 01-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you want a hub that is guaranteed to not lock up when you need it the most, stick with the manual hubs and just lock them in when you think the going is gonna get tough.

The hubs on my K5 are locked in all winter long so all I have to do is pull it into 4wd and away I go.

It is safe to run with the hubs locked in, just not as good on gas that way.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

manual hubs are so much more reliable. also when you lock them in you know they're locked in. autos take time to lock in. i wish i could have manuals on my blazer but its next to impossible. thats why im getting a k5.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Beginning Member

ok sounds good. what happens if you put it in 4 wheel and dont have the hubs locked

Old 01-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You are still in 2wd for all intensive purposes.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Beginning Member

so no damage will be done? what exactly does locking the hubs do?

Old 01-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Locking the hubs connects the wheel hub with the outer drive shaft on the axle. If the hubs are unlocked and you are in 4wd, the front axle will just spin. If you are in 4wd and have only one hub locked in, the front axle will just spin.

It isn't exactly good to put it into 4wd without the hubs locked in, but it shouldn't hurt anything so long as you don't drive around in 4wd with the hubs unlocked for too long.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Banned

i know my dad has put his truck in 4wd without locking the hubs when he gets stuck. then takes it out. so i wouldn't worry about damage but like kyle said i wouldn't go driving cross country with the 4wd on w/out locked hubs.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Beginning Member

I deffinatly dont plan on it but just wanted to know. anybody would think you guys know a thing or two

Old 01-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 88K5blaze
I deffinatly dont plan on it but just wanted to know. anybody would think you guys know a thing or two

no i just work on john deeres all day. except when my blazer breaks down (every other day) and idk what kyle does. probably takes these blazers apart for fun.lol

Quick Reply: automatic locking hubs