2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Grinding Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:58 PM
FarmgirlINmi is on a distinguished road
Default Grinding Blazer

Bought it Yesterday! grinding today! while idling took it out of park to put in reverse and loud grinding metal harsh sounds!! Yikes.. when i got home and was idle went to put it in park and 3xs as harsh and grinding sounding.. took it for 2 test drives this evening and nothing, sounds fine.. easy fix or bad bad news?? hubby is sumwhat comfortable with 4.6 its why we got a chevy.. HELP please!!
2002 blazer 2 wd 2 dr.. automatic trans

Old 03-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like this grinding occurred even when the truck was not moving. Is that correct?

That's a 4.3L.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:18 PM

only happened when wasnt moving.. basically while shifting from park to drive or from bein in drive putting it into park it made that horrible noise.. LOUD.. after in gear is stopped.. but.. hubby stuck head under car and could hear it a tiny bit.. I shut er down.. restarted and nothing nada.. put it in gear couple few times no nasty sounds.. 2 test drives nothing.. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP FIGURING IT OUT.. lot easier to try and fix it if we know where to start.. tks

Old 03-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like something is amiss inside the transmission. Is the fluid level proper?

Could possibly be the starter motor not retracting properly and hitting on the flex plate, but that shouldn't change when you put it into gear.

If the motor mounts are bad, something up front could be hitting. That would change when you put it in gear.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

torque converter?

Old 03-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Starting Member
1998MSO is on a distinguished road

Just had my catalytic converter replaced for making a rattling/grinding sound under similar conditions. And yes, mine was really loud a scary sounding at times. Next time you hear the sound, try pressing your foot against the tailpipe and listen for a change in the sound. Let us know what you find out.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Sounds like something is amiss inside the transmission. Is the fluid level proper?

Could possibly be the starter motor not retracting properly and hitting on the flex plate, but that shouldn't change when you put it into gear.

If the motor mounts are bad, something up front could be hitting. That would change when you put it in gear.
has a sm. dent in front bumper what if a accident shifted engine ever so slightly that something upfront could be hitting. (flywheel) or sumthing during shifting like that? this is a scenario i brought up to my husband since its kinda obvious that it had dent in front dumper with lil of bumer missing on right side. at this pt. i cant even sleep for fear we put the only money we will be seeing for a long while in a vehicle that needs work we cant afford. i tried yahoo answers someone suggested a bad synchronizer.. is that something that a automatic trans would have? and yes the trans fluids are fine checked today.

Originally Posted by 1998MSO
Just had my catalytic converter replaced for making a rattling/grinding sound under similar conditions. And yes, mine was really loud a scary sounding at times. Next time you hear the sound, try pressing your foot against the tailpipe and listen for a change in the sound. Let us know what you find out.
i will try that.. im so nervous i cant sleep.. waited wanted a decent vehicle for so long and might not be able to take kids on road trip after all...

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-10-2010 at 06:04 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Sadchevy is on a distinguished road

i have a 96 that the starter stayed engaged while in park or nuetral but was fine in drive.
i found the starter relay to be going bad and a short in the start circuit wires. it made a awful grinding noise . hope this helps.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sadchevy
i have a 96 that the starter stayed engaged while in park or nuetral but was fine in drive.
i found the starter relay to be going bad and a short in the start circuit wires. it made a awful grinding noise . hope this helps.

ty yes it does help sum it eases my mind a lil were steering towards it bein the starter stayin engaged and when in process of shifting its prolly hittin flywheel (sumthin is ) hasnt done it once today so hopefully it doesnt make a habit of it ill look into ways of getting it taken care of. can a shop tell with machines if the relay is goin bad or circuit wires? were not used to taken our car to shop hubby fixes em himself best he can or we live with it..lol
Anyway it would be great anything less then the transmission going out. This Blazer is got my name written all over it and 1st nice car i have ever owned.. hate to have to give her up tks again