General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Best place to put ground wire for system

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 03:28 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best place to put ground wire for system

Who knows the best place to put the ground wire from my amp in my 88 blazer. I can't really find a good place so does anyone know where the best place would be? I know this should be in audio section but it doesn't seem like people read it as much and I would like to get this done today. Thanks

Old 07-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Best place to put ground wire for system

Why cant you just ground it directly to the body of the car? make a small hole by a wheel well inside the engine bay?

Old 07-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could just use a screw through the body back where your amps are located. You just have to make sure that you aren't going to be screwing into anything underneith.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:37 PM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

The best place for the ground would be the engine block, you would want to find a easily accessable bolt, like one that attaches an accessory bracket, take it out, put a ring terminal on the GND then put thr bolt back in with ring terminal on. Don't forget to safely route the GND from heat and moving parts.

Some people use the batt. GND.

And..... what the others said. One thing I had happen once though was that I got feedback noise when I grounded to the body, it could have been anything causing the problem but I didn't want to spend the time hunting it down or putting hi and low pass filters in, so I went to the block. Just an FYI if you get some feedback.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:17 PM
p_j_robertson is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 98 and I put the grounding wire underneath my back seats. The seats are mounted into the body of the vehicle which makes a good ground. Not sure if that helps cannot remember how the back of a 88 looks. I am running 2 800s and don't have any problem so good luck

Old 07-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

I would not ground my amps to the engine block, would use factory tie downs or the bolts that hold seats to body. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the engine block is grounded to the chassis, so why not just ground to the chassis like everything else in the car.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:22 AM
layitlo is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a friend that runs a stereo shop and he told me to ground mine no more then 12 inchs away from the amp. Since my amp is in the rear I grounded mine right be hind the panel that comes down when the seat folds down. I found a screw to use and it grouned my amp really good. It's a 600watt dhd and I've had it grounded there for over 3 years now and I never had any engine noise. He also said to run the hot wire down on the side that the speaker wires are not on. And I was meaning the rca cables to the amp or amps. I followed his advice and it works good. You should also change your ground to body on the battery to the same size as your amps hot wire. It helps it also. Mine sounds really good with those things done to it. I hope this helps.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:56 AM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point

I read somewhere that bolts holding down seats or seat belts don't make the best grounds and that it's actually best to scrape the paint away from sheetmetal somewhere, drill a hole and ground directly to the body or frame of the vehicle. I guess the problem with seat mounting bolts is that there may be paint between the bolt and the body which gives a poor ground. I spend about 2 minutes scraping paint away with the point of a screwdriver then used a self drilling self tapping screw to ground my amp and I can't hear a bit of engine whine in my system. I've had friends who took their car to some place like circuit city for a professional install and I can hear engine whine in their speakers, I'm guessing the minimum wage "pros" used a seat mounting bolt or seat belt anchor bolt for a ground.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:32 PM
layitlo is an unknown quantity at this point

I still believe what my friend says about the ground. I've followed his advice and I've never had any engine noise in any of my blazers or cars. But the size of the wires do make a difference. I've never payed anyone else to put in my stuff. I've put stereos in so many difference cars and trucks it's crazy. I put in 2 audiobahn 10's and a sound storm amp in a friends honda civic and the hit harder then mine. I put tweeters in his also. I'm not an expert but I think I'm really good at doing it. I've never had the engine noise in them. Just be sure you use the right wires and it will make a difference. I didn't think it would at first but I tried it and it made a huge difference.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:55 PM
94blazerowner is an unknown quantity at this point

god please hear what im saying!!!! dont let even your enemies take their car system to circuit city or best buy for installs. i have heard and seen some horror stories about those folks. such as duct tape holding in door speakers. those people have no kind of training in the field of audio installs at all for the most part.

Quick Reply: Best place to put ground wire for system