Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Changing rear end fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Starting Member
jmaynard is on a distinguished road
Default Changing rear end fluid?

My 95 Blazer 4x4 has a roar in the rear end that gets quieter, but doesn't go away, after I drive for a few miles. It's definitely in the rear end; it's still there after I had new tires put on yesterday. My mechanic checked the fluid level, and said he didn't see anything wrong there: the fluid was up to the fill port, and didn't look, feel, or smell abnormal to him. He recommended that I pop the rear cover and change the fluid, and take a good look at the gears while I was in there. He said it was a job I could handle. I think he's right; it doesn't seem that complex. It's a GU6 3.42 rear end, according to the RPO codes.

Are there any hidden gotchas? Is there a gasket I'll need to replace?

He said he had a 97 Blazer for a while that did the same thing, and never gave him any real trouble - but he did have a lot to say about the location of the fuel pressure regulator...

Last edited by jmaynard; 06-11-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Starting Member
jbsnowboarder16 is on a distinguished road

I just did this about a week ago to mine. It isn't too hard just have to get the cover off which can be difficult because of the sway bar and the brake line brackets. It is a 1/2 socket, I also used a wrench to get the bolts that I couldn't get with the socket.

When you refill, it will take just under 2qts of oil. The Manual says to use 80w-90, but I think some people use 75w-90. I recommend using brake cleaner to clean everything up, but make sure you let it evaporate or you mop it up.

The fill plug is magnetic so if there are any metals shavings you'll see them there or in the pan when you drain it. There is a gasket that you have to make sure u get completely off. I used a gasket from Advance Auto, but I also used some sealant to make the gasket adhere to the cover when I replaced it.

Good Luck!

Old 06-12-2010, 12:50 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Yeppers.. change the rear end fluid. It's not rocket science and it will make the rear end go a few more miles...

Old 06-12-2010, 10:38 AM
jigger is on a distinguished road

DON'T spray the bearings with brake cleaner!!! Just mop out the inside and reinstall the cover and fill.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:22 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

This post >>CLICK<< is one of my favorites on the forum.

Ch-ch-ch-check it out.

Here's my saga: Click

Old 06-14-2010, 06:22 AM
Starting Member
jmaynard is on a distinguished road

Great pointer, thanks.

How do you tell if you have the 8.125 inch ring gear? I was just thinking of taking the cover to my local NAPA store to get the right gasket...

Old 06-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Beginning Member
95ls2door is on a distinguished road
Default my 95 blazer

so i cant get the fill plug out i was wondering if anyone ever heard of using a baggy put the fuild in the baggy and puting it in and putting the cover back on any one hear of that .. any other suggestions

Old 06-14-2010, 10:44 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I'd want bits of plastic bag in there getting churned around by the gears. Have you tried PB blaster on the fill plug?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Beginning Member
95ls2door is on a distinguished road

ya i gonna have to put a 3/8 extenstion in the so it can slip out maybe add some heat.... i thought i bring that up tho i saw it on tv some truck show on spike .

Old 06-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Beginning Member
83Blazer4x4 is on a distinguished road

I have seen that on junkyard wars. It is more of a quick fix to get you back on the road than a permanent way to get fluid in your rear diff.

Quick Reply: Changing rear end fluid?