1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

proportioning valve?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Beginning Member
88 rusty but trusty is on a distinguished road
Default proportioning valve?

Anyone know of a place, other than the boneyard, where I can get a proportioning valve for an 88 S10 blazer. It's the 4.3 vortech with TBI. I have a pull it yourself boneyard near me that I could hit, but not sure if all Gen 1's are the same

Old 08-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It should be the same... Proportioning valves are hard to come by.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Shalom is on a distinguished road

MBM Brake Boosters makes repro proportioning valves. They sell to the trade only, but you can get them retail at Carolina Classic Trucks.

(Disclaimer: Never bought from them, so I can't vouch for the quality, but they seem to be the only game in town; my problem which I thought was a proportioning valve (last replaced in about 2001) turned out to be a rusted through brake line in the rear.)

Old 08-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Beginning Member
88 rusty but trusty is on a distinguished road

I checked all my lines when the brakes were redone in May. I'ts leaking from the pro valve. I saw the one on Carolina Classics just need to take a pic of mine and compare to the one on line. Make sure it matches up. There'a gotta be a zillion of these S10 Blazers and pick ups out there, can't believe you can't get one from GM!

Old 08-30-2010, 07:18 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

wow. i had one book marked from a few months back and now cant find it anywhere on that site. i looked for hours too. mine has been leaking for a year now.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:53 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

I think LMC Truck sells them but only for 89 - 94 Blazers. I had a gasket leak on my 84 Jimmy and ALL parts for the valve are non-serviceable. Had to buy a new one. Cost a bunch of bucks. You could call LMC about the one they sell. My 84 looks just like my 94. In fact the factory manuals for both read identical to each other. They operate exactly the same. There are three sections to the valve. The front section is the metering valve, the center is to your warning light and the rear is the proportioner. Hope this helps some.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Beginning Member
wwilly1968 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy proportioning valve

ok so iam not getting any brake fluid to rear brakes at all lines are all good new shoes rubber line from frame to lines in rear cylinders all that jazz i have fluid comin from master down to proportioning valve but seems my mecahnic of 23 years and myself cannot figure out why my 1989 s10 blazer 4x4 5 speed 2.3 tbi has 2 yes i say 2 of these valves ?????? yes i said two i have the one that sits directly under mc with dummy switch on then there another one that sits directly behind that one line runs from front valve to this 2nd one then back to rear brakes i have never ever seen one like this and neither has my mechanic.... and we have pretty much narrowed the fluid problem down to it cause we took all lines off and pressed brakes got fluid through all lines from mc but when we took the line that goes from this 2nd valve off that runs back to rear brakes we got nothing coming through this line at all..... sooo can anybody tell me what exactly this second valve persay is ??? and is it actualy a proportioning valve???? mystery to me and to my very seasoned mechanic who has owned 9 blazers in his time and has never seen this before.... HELP I HAVE NO REAR BRAKES thanks william and if a picture will help let me know i would be glad to share this with anybody..................

Old 02-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Starting Member
scary d is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wwilly1968
ok so iam not getting any brake fluid to rear brakes at all lines are all good new shoes rubber line from frame to lines in rear cylinders all that jazz i have fluid comin from master down to proportioning valve but seems my mecahnic of 23 years and myself cannot figure out why my 1989 s10 blazer 4x4 5 speed 2.3 tbi has 2 yes i say 2 of these valves ?????? yes i said two i have the one that sits directly under mc with dummy switch on then there another one that sits directly behind that one line runs from front valve to this 2nd one then back to rear brakes i have never ever seen one like this and neither has my mechanic.... and we have pretty much narrowed the fluid problem down to it cause we took all lines off and pressed brakes got fluid through all lines from mc but when we took the line that goes from this 2nd valve off that runs back to rear brakes we got nothing coming through this line at all..... sooo can anybody tell me what exactly this second valve persay is ??? and is it actualy a proportioning valve???? mystery to me and to my very seasoned mechanic who has owned 9 blazers in his time and has never seen this before.... HELP I HAVE NO REAR BRAKES thanks william and if a picture will help let me know i would be glad to share this with anybody..................
on the front of the prop. valve their is a small ''button''...depress it using a special tool hahaha or something small enough you can clamp it with. its blocking your fluid from traveling back. and two sets of prop. valves i have never heard of or seen. take one out and sell it....let me see if i can elaborate more....it is actually a metering valve. there are several different methods for curing this blockage....if some of those methods dont work (which they should) buy an aftermarket adjustable porop. valve. google search for proportioning valve reset or brake metering valve reset and use the one that applys to your setup. have a good evening and good luck.

Last edited by scary d; 02-16-2011 at 11:04 PM.