2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1999 Blazer rear axle removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:42 PM
Beginning Member
hcii is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1999 Blazer rear axle removal

Hello all....

I have encountered my driver's side rear wheel bearing failing. It started with an ever so slight vibration in the seat of my pants, so I replaced both U-Joints (bought the Blazer used - at 155,000 still had the originals).

That didn't cure it, although the U-joints were just about ready to go. Well...a week or so of vibration and steadily increasing growling, I looked under the vehicle and noticed a pretty good leakage of differential oil on the rear driver's side wheel assembly (disc brake). Been mechanic long enough to know I had located the problem - rear wheel bearing gone bad.

Here is my question....I have changed MANY Chevy axles, rear axle bearings, differentials, but in all that time I have never had the luxury to repair one with the G80 option (limited-slip). Normal rear ends I know all about the 5/16" bolt, pin, C clips, etc. for axle removal.

With mine being an 8.5 differential with limited slip, what are the differences I am going to encounter in order to remove the axle? I am almost sure that the axle has probably scored a little, so I am going to replace the bearing with one that is of the "fix-it" axle type that puts the bearing on a little different portion of the axle. As a matter of fact - since I am going to be that deep in it and at 155,000 miles - I am going to replace both.

Long-winded I know.

Basically...does the limited slip differential use C clips to hold the axle like the normal differential? Or am I going to encounter extra steps and precautions, or even different ways that the axles are held in place?

I ended up with a somewhat rare S-10 Blazer as far as I can tell, and as far as the comments I get from various mechanics and GM dealership personnel. Mine is the base-line 2-door utility - no option PACKAGE, but has a 5-speed manual (not many seen), 8.5" rear ring gear (again - not near as popular as the 7.5" on a base-line S-10) and get this....factory cruise control.

Geez...I need to shut up.

Just how different is the removal of the axle from a limited slip versus a spider-gear type?

Thanks for any and all help...

Henry

Had to be special ordered.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:02 PM
Logan is on a distinguished road

There is either a write up on this, or youtube vid. Basically the same as any old c-clip style, but you dont not remove the pin. Only pull it out far enough to push the axles in. rotate the diff so the housing holds the pin from falling out.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:12 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Not much help as far as removing the axle shaft, I just replaced the entire rear end

But as far as your blazer's specs...all 5-speed blazers came with the 8.5" rear end, but while the 5-speeds were uncommon, even more so uncommon were the 5-speed 4WD blazers...and that would mean that you have the iron front differential as well (assuming you have push button 4wd, not the old lever shift).

ZR2s also came with the 8.5" rear end...but obviously thats an uprated option package.

FYI, in late model year 1999 and early 2000, GM switched from 8.5" to 8.6" rear ends. No difference the axles and all, but the carrier bearings are differnt...so if you blow a bearing replacing the axle or something...just know what ya got!

Old 09-01-2010, 06:31 AM
Beginning Member
hcii is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=WolfPack;358581
But as far as your blazer's specs...all 5-speed blazers came with the 8.5" rear end, but while the 5-speeds were uncommon, even more so uncommon were the 5-speed 4WD blazers...and that would mean that you have the iron front differential as well (assuming you have push button 4wd, not the old lever shift).

That is what I have. 1999 2-door utility - 4WD w/pushbutton 4WD - limited slip rear - 5 speed manual. I guess thats why my friend at the GM dealer here told me I had an unusual Blazer. He VIN'ed it for me, and gave me all the specs on the vehicle. I wanted the correct parts on hand before I tore it down.

Thanks,

To the first poster....I searched for a tech article on replacing the rear axle bearing on the 2nd Gen Blazers, but it came up with 0 results on the limited slip.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Starting Member
robertr728 is on a distinguished road

Here ya go

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
99 rear axle remove.PDF (141.7 KB, 933 views)

Last edited by robertr728; 09-01-2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Add PDF
Old 08-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Beginning Member
tommy3678 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I know this is a slightly old post, but I'm looking to replace the rusted out backing plates / splash guards the rear end of my 2001 S-10 Trailblazer. How do I tell if I have a locking or non-locking differential (I'm assuming I don't)? I'm trying to get as prepared as possible before I tear everything apart. Also, I'm assuming I'll need to replace the differential gasket?

Also, do I need to disconnect the parking brake cables to remove the hub?

Old 08-06-2011, 12:50 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Look for code G80 in your glovebox. If it's not there, you don't have a limited slip differential. Parking brake can stay attached unless you're replacing the entire rear axle.

If you're taking the differential cover off replacing the gasket is necessary.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Beginning Member

Great, thanks! I did find the G80 code so I've got limited slip. This also helps me determine the axle seal I need, since O'Reilly has three options (code C, K, or limited slip). Out of curiosity, if I needed to find the code stamped on the axle, where would I look?

One final note...the guy on the phone at O'Reilly said I shouldn't have to open the differential to remove my axles, that they should just pull out. I'm not so sure, judging from everything I've read. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Thanks again for the help!

Old 08-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You must pull the diff cover, pinion shaft, & c-clips to then be able to remove the axle shafts. Sounds like the guy at O'Reilly's doesn't know what he's talking about.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Beginning Member

I spun the differential to check the gears, and on the top spider gear I noticed a few teeth that look like this. Is this something I should worry about @ 120k? How hard would this gear be to replace if I'm already pulling the axles out?[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: 1999 Blazer rear axle removal