Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Steering Column Lock Cylinder

Old 10-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Beginning Member
WarrenC is on a distinguished road
Default Steering Column Lock Cylinder

So i went to get into my truck to come home from a friends i put my key in and it went *CLICK* there is no "springy" action there that there normally would be and the truck does not fire up. So i got the truck home and dismantled the steering column following the steps posted here http://www.texas4x4.org/showthread.php?t=18 now when you get to step 4 theres SUPPOSED to be a screw to remove that locks the lock cylinder in place. Now when i built my truck my steering column was all sloppy and loose so i replaced it, i have no idea what i replaced it with i just know it was all the same so here is my problem. I have everything taken off that i possibly can but i cant figure out how the hell to get that lock cylinder out there is definitely no screws holding it in place or anything i feel so close to fixing it but at the same time so far anyone have any ideas? I have been considering the old dent puller but im positive that this is not the correct way and i cant find any relevant info online.

Last edited by WarrenC; 10-14-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How about some vehicle info? Do you have any pictures of what you are working with? Are you sure your column was out of a K5?

The link doesn't work.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Beginning Member

I got it figured out today now that i wasnt in a rush before work, there is a little "slot" we'll call it I just had to put a flathead in there to depress the locking mechanism then it pulled right out.

And i figured out what my problem is but now i really am stumped. The problem is that "coathanger" type wire that goes to the switch at the bottom of the column, At the top of it where it attaches to the little gear drive that the ignition cylinder turns is broken away from the gear. So im at one of those points where i can clearly see the problem but ill be damned if i have any clue as to how to get at it since it is inside the housing on the steering column that the automatic shifter is attached to and there is no obvious looking way to take it apart from here. Id post pictures to show you but some *** stole my camera at a family barbeque in the summer

Im thinking im just going to see if i can track a steering column down for cheap, seems a lot easier to me.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:27 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

possibly. i destroyed a column before and just went to a pick and pull and bought a whole column for 35 bucks. junkyards are usually full of them

Old 10-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Beginning Member

LOL funny you say that, im about to do that right now.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:44 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by WarrenC
LOL funny you say that, im about to do that right now.
hopefully you find one with a key other wise youre gonna be right back where you started cause your gonna have to change the ignition swith again

Old 10-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Beginning Member

The good news: i found an 85 gmc 2500 with a tilt steering column and the key at our local pick-a-part. I got home and realized the steering shaft had a different connection than my old one so i had to go back and get that >< anyway everything is hooked up in place all good to go.

The bad news: No ignition ive narrowed checked all the switches, they're all good and adjusted properly, i even went as far as trying my old switches because i know for a fact they worked before i took it all apart. I've narrowed it down to the purple wire that goes to the solonoid on the started having no power when the ignition is turned on. There is also a purple and yellow wire at the base of the steering column which is for the neutral safety switch that prevents you from starting up in gear (this is an automatic). Neither one of those wires has any power at all now whether the ignition is "hot" or not. Everything else works lights, signals etc. I checked all the fuses and they all work. I even checked out every fuse connector to make sure they all work which they all do.

My assumption is that that yellow wire is supposed to be "hot" and it completes the circuit with the purple wire which goes to the starter solonoid right? What im curious about is both if my assumtion is correct, and secondly when is that yellow wire supposed to be hot, only when the key is turned or is it supposed to be live all the time?

Im pretty close to the point where im going to just rig up a hidden push start ^^

Old 03-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Beginning Member
greendouglash is on a distinguished road

When you installed the column did you make sure that your gear selector was in neutral. If it wasn't to begin with then you're readings may be off and it might be preventing you from starting due to the column thinking that it is in gear. You should have a hot at all times going to that neutral selector switch, but from there there is a sliding mechanism inside that goes into a groove inside the column. When you move the shifter on the column it moves that sliding mechanism which completes the circuit. Its almost like a light switch. When you move it into the correct gear position, Park, then you have a complete circuit.

I'm looking for a column for my 89 K5. The vehicle was previously stolen and they trashed the column. I've made it functional but they destroyed the metal shroud and I am just looking for something to replace it because the shroud was broken.

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-03-2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.