2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil Cooler Line Leak at Radiator fitting on an 01 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Beginning Member
NYC86ZC is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Cooler Line Leak at Radiator fitting on an 01 4wd

I've searched around and I've seen a bunch of posts about the oil cooler line hoses themselves leaking at the crimps, but my issue seems to be where the oil cooler line goes into the fitting on the radiator. I do have the e-clip on there as well. Neither line is missing the clip.

Lately there's been a nice oil leak under the blazer in the driver's side front end. I traced it down to the connection between the oil cooler line and the radiator. The upper line is tight when it goes into the radiator with the clip, but the lower line is very loose and i can push it in and out about a 1/16th of an inch. Below this fitting there's a nice collection of fresh oil.

Are there any gaskets in there that could go bad? Or is it just a metal on metal seal(which seems very strange) and is held on there by the e-clip?

I pulled off the good and tight upper line and did not see any type of gasket on cooler line. I couldn't see inside the other side that goes into the radiator.

The hose itself looks good and so do the crimps. So if all i need is a gasket that'd be great. I don't mind spending the money on a full set of new front lines like the link the have below as long as it comes with the fittings that go into the radiator as well because i'm not sure if that side has been enlarged from all the moving around of the cooler line in it:
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/OilCoolerLi...tm_content=EOC

Any advice or direction would be great.
TIA

Old 12-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Replace the fitting in the radiator itself. It's available from the dealer. Another member recently had the same issue and a new fitting corrected the issue.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the quick response.

Do you know of a site where I can get part numbers online? I'd like to call up the dealer with the part number instead of trying to explain the part to him.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks again for the help. I talked to Craig, the other guy on here who had the same issue and sure enough it was the radiator engine oil cooler connector.

I picked one up from the dealer today for $11. The part number on the bag says: 1571-9697

Old 12-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I knew he'd be able to help you out with a PN. Glad you got it.