Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

1986 Chevrolet K5 Blazer I'm new here.....help please?

Old 12-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Beginning Member
86K5BLAZER is on a distinguished road
Default 1986 Chevrolet K5 Blazer I'm new here.....help please?

http://www.truckforum.org/forums/che...k5-305-v8.html

I figure, with the help of two forums I might be able to get this tackled...It's been almost a month and my trucks still sitting out in the cold.

Attached Thumbnails 1986 Chevrolet K5 Blazer I'm new here.....help please?-dsc00826.jpg  
Old 12-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Can't view videos at work... Why don't you explain the issue you are having in detail here, including the questions you have, and we will try to help you.

Also, please detail which distributor your truck is equiped with. A regular HEI distributor will only have one wire connected to the distributor itself from the truck and that will run to the ignition switch. The HEI w/ ESC (electronic spark control) will have another harness (4 pin connector) which plugs into the ESC controller. There also is a third distributor which was on the California emissions equiped vehicles that was an HEI w/ EST (electronic spark timing) according to my references. If your distributor cap has the coil mounted in the top/center of it, then it is not the EST distributor.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Beginning Member

I have an original HEI (well, reman now) distributor, I have replace the battery, alternator, starter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, ignition module, and coil. Here's what it looked like on the original

http://www.truckforum.org/forums/att...8-dsc00802.jpg

http://www.truckforum.org/forums/att...8-dsc00809.jpg

Here's it new, http://www.truckforum.org/forums/att...-44-23.868.jpg

I added some more picture for reference or whatever...Um, so pretty much I have no spark. It will crank, but no spark. I have a feeling that this wire that is left out may be important. (it is pink/brown/tan? I can't really tell because its so old) It comes out of the firewall right above the transmission dipstick and goes back around to the dizzy somewhere.

Attached Thumbnails 1986 Chevrolet K5 Blazer I'm new here.....help please?-dsc00813.jpg   1986 Chevrolet K5 Blazer I'm new here.....help please?-dsc00814.jpg  
Old 12-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does that wire have +12V when the ignition is on? If so, that is supposed to connect to the B+ terminal on the distributor cap.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Beginning Member

I don't know, but it's a great time to go check the voltage! I'll let you know. lol

so, i went out there and my volt meter umped around everywhere. its my dads old meter, and its beat up. i dont know if its working right, so im taking the time now to go buy a legit volt meter.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1

Old 12-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Starting Member
Z71_Guy is on a distinguished road

this weekend i am going down to my parents, ill check on my 85 and see if i can figure out anything

Old 12-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Administrator

When I dropped the HEI distributor into my '74, I only had to run 1 wire which was a +12V wire from a switched ignition source. The stock points style distributor power feed was only 12V during cranking and would drop to ~6V when running.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Beginning Member

So, i did the volt test. that wire reads 0.33. No spark still either, but everything sounds good. its cranking and everything.
&z71guy, that would be awesome. thank you.
&thanks so far swartlkk

really appreciate it.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Administrator

.33V... Is that with the ignition in the 'RUN' position?

What wiring do you have running to the distributor right now?

Old 12-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Beginning Member

thats with it cranking, and the wires i have to the dizzy right now are, the primary off of the alt. and the 3 pin connector, and some really small black wire on the neg terminal (believe its for a non existent tach)

I'll draw a diagram for clarity.

Attached Thumbnails 1986 Chevrolet K5 Blazer I'm new here.....help please?-hei-ig.png  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1986 Chevrolet K5 Blazer I'm new here.....help please?