Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

How do I remove my front seats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Beginning Member
robertfireye is on a distinguished road
Question How do I remove my front seats?

I am sort of new to this as my Blazer is my first car and I've only had it a few months, but I love it and want to change my seats out. I have a column shifter so I unfortunately have that bench seat in the front with the fold down armrest/seat back that has caved waaaaaay in. I am going to a large scrap yard in a couple of weeks but it's a bit of a drive so I want to do this in one trip. Basically I want to take my bench seats out and replace them with two bucket ones, because the drivers seat is incredibly worn out and is permanently smashed in. If you would be so kind as to give me a detailed list of the tools I need and where the bolts are/or how to get to them I would be incredibly greatful. I catch onto this stuff quickly and just need some help starting. I appreciate any answers!

Last edited by robertfireye; 02-24-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:03 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

for starters, having a bench for a front seat is rare.

just take a look under your bench. there should be a few plastic beauty covers you'll need to remove, to be able to see all of the bolts you need to remove to pull the bench out. you'll need a 15mm & a..............was it a T40 or T45? (been a bit since i had to remove ones from a 2nd gen). this is why it's best to actually look @ your job before you head out.

when you pull the seats out of the parts truck, you'll also want to grab the console as well. and if i remember correctly, you'll want to grab the seat belts as well. the ones in you truck are slightly different due to the bench. you don't have to grab the belts (yours will work) but the ones for bucket seats are designed slightly different.

just make sure you take the seat rails with the seats too. nothing from your bench will work with the buckets. you might as well grab the electrical in the floor so you can wire in the power for them (if you happen to grab power seats)

it almost sounds like you might be planing to remove your seats while you're @ the JY. if so, make sure you spray a little PB on the bolts to free them up. they can be quite difficult sometimes.

GL.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Beginning Member

Thank you so much for your answer to my question. I was also planning on getting a center console at the junk yard, but I don't even know how I'll get it out. Do you have any idea where the bolts are? I have read that there are 4 10mm bolts and that they will fit any 98 to 05 Blazer, but I'm not sure how to get to them. It doesn't seem like it will be too hard, but I just don't know where to begin with it.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:39 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

On mine, there's a rubber pad at the front of the console where you can set items like a cell phone or w/e. Lift up that rubber pad and there's a screw down there. Further up, when you get to the arm rest, there's a shallow tray about 3" deep and a deeper tray about 14" deep kind of hidden below the shallow one. Remove both and you'll see three bolts. Once you get all four, the console just slides right out. The bolts should already be in place because inside, all you remove is the nut on the top. If you can't see the bolts sticking up now, it may take a little custom work to get it secured.

If you can, try and take a picture or two of your bench seat. I've never seen a bench seat in a 2nd gen

Old 02-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Beginning Member

Sure, I'll put a pic or two up. I have heard them called 60/40 bucket seats though. I might be incorrectly naming them. It'll be tonight though before I can get any pictures up.

Update: I got a pic up but I couldn't embed it so here it is on my ancient Flickr account.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kallencanpilot/5475419984/

Last edited by robertfireye; 02-24-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Beginning Member
Curt8153 is on a distinguished road

That's the same style bucket seat I have in my 96 4X4 Blazer, 60/40 splite. I woundering what years of the seat will work in my 96 Blazer. My drivers side is all broken down.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Beginning Member
alex.graham89 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
.......was it a T40 or T45? (been a bit since i had to remove ones from a 2nd gen). this is why it's best to actually look @ your job before you head out.

My '99 (admittedly, buckets, but still...) was a T50