Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:49 PM
01blaze2door is on a distinguished road
Default Seafoam?

I was looking into seafoaming my truck, and was wondering if anyone on her had any experience or suggestions or tips. I read the back of the can and it sorta confused me... So what places do you put it in and how much?(without destroying my motor) and by the way I have a 01 Blazer 4.3L thanks in advance guys/girls

Old 03-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Beginning Member
bigjayfromwa is on a distinguished road

Well what i did to my rig when i first got it was i added a can of the seafoam to the engine and also to the fuel tank (empty, then filled it up full)

In the fuel tank it cleans out your fuel system as you drive. Just make sure you put it in a low tank then fill it up so it will mix properly.

Basically in the engine it cleans all the sludge and free's up any stuck lifters and such. However i will warn you that if you have excessive build up, it may plug your oil pump screen and cease your engine? So you need to pay close attention to your oil pressure gauge. So this one is up to you... I personally ran mine that way on a trip of 1500mi of non stop driving. But i would run it for maybe a day or two otherwise of normal driving and then change the oil.

What i am actually going to do to mine (2003 blazer) is poor seafoam down the throttle body to clean it out while the engine is running.
I read a post where someone tried this and it cleaned things up amazingly well.

So there's my two cents!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:21 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

while i haven't done it to my truck yet, i have talked to a good friend of mine who is a mechanic, and he's used their stuff for years. never had any issues with any vehicle that he's done it too.

but i don't think he's ever let it sit in an engine for 1500 miles either. from what i remeber what we've talked about, he usually pours it in the customers tank/vacuum booster line, the night before. then gets them to come back in the morning for an oil change.

it's been said you can pour 1/3 in the tank, 1/3 in the crank case, and the last 1/3 in the booster line.

once my synthetic is due for a change (mid-Spring) i plan on doing the Sea Foam treatment. might even try their trans stuff too.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Danno85 is on a distinguished road

I've used a few times in my '76 K5 with a 350. I've always just pulled off the brake booster vacuum line and held my thumb over it and had a buddy start the truck. Then just slowly poured it in. Just slowing up a little if it bogs the engine down too much. Keep in mind though that it will smoke like a mother as it burns through! It always seems to run better afterward. I usually do it ever 25K miles or so.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:43 AM
Beginning Member
CO Chevy Dude is on a distinguished road

I just did my first Seafoam two weeks ago. 1 can in the tank, and one can of spray into the intake on my 97. Smoothed out the idle for sure, But I had other problems so thats all I can attest to. I'll definitely use it again, just to see what I may have missed.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:56 AM

Yeah. I'll probably do it in my 02 Sierra too. It idles a little rough right after start. Some of it I think has to do with having the whipplecharger on there though

Old 03-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road

yea i use seafoam on all my cars half a can in the tank, half in the booster. the can says if you pour it into your crankcase "your oil" you should only run it for 75miles then change it

Old 03-05-2011, 03:17 PM
tpl_6@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road

so i am not getting this, if u pour it in to your crankcase u have to chnage ur oil. if u put it threw ur bosster line u dont?....i have never heard of this until now... i was looking up stuff on a tune up and heard abouth this seafoam stuff....my 95 blazer goign down the highway between 60 and 70 mph if i let off the gas and then hold it the rpm's will drop like 300 ish or so then come back up and drop back down...so i was thinking maybe a tune up idk????

Old 03-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by tpl_6@yahoo.com
so i am not getting this, if u pour it in to your crankcase u have to chnage ur oil. if u put it threw ur bosster line u dont?....i have never heard of this until now... i was looking up stuff on a tune up and heard abouth this seafoam stuff....my 95 blazer goign down the highway between 60 and 70 mph if i let off the gas and then hold it the rpm's will drop like 300 ish or so then come back up and drop back down...so i was thinking maybe a tune up idk????
ok so if you pour it threw your brake booster vac. line its not mixing with your fluids, its just cleaning carbon build up, and one hell of a smoke bomb from it out your tailpipe lol. But when u pour it threw your crankcase its mixing with your oil, im not exactly sure why it says to change the oil after roughtly 75 miles, but if i had to assume i would say to not cause any possible damage to your main seals and things of that sort hope that helps buddy

Old 03-05-2011, 07:51 PM

Pretty much. But I have never ran it in my oil for fear of deteriorating seals. Instead I run lucas oil mixed in the crankcase and run the seafoam straight through the brake booster line. I've heard tranny fluid through the booster line will do the same thing but I've never tried it myself.

Quick Reply: Seafoam?