2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

removing fan clutch from water pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 01:43 PM
bruuce is on a distinguished road
Default removing fan clutch from water pump

how do you get fan clutch off from water pump with pump still in car

Old 06-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Use a fan clutch removal tool.

The post linked to below should help:
96+ Water Pump Removal & Install

Found using "fan+clutch+removal" in the search box.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:59 PM
ctyler is on a distinguished road

A strap wrench will work if you have one. Use it to hold the pulley while you unscrew it with and end wrench.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:33 AM
Starting Member
dobyken is on a distinguished road

I just had to do it a few days ago to change my water pump and didn't have the special tool. Keep the belt on to provide additional resistance on the pulley. Put a socket on one of the 4 pulley screws so that it prevents the pulley from turning counter clockwise. Place a large wrench (I used my biggest adjustable) on the fan nut and tap the end lightly with a rubber mallet. I felt the nut come loose after about 10 taps then I could unscrew it the rest of the way by hand. There was no rust or corrosion on my 99 but if the nut looks nasty you may want to spray some PB blaster on it before trying.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Beginning Member
USMarine1108 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ctyler
A strap wrench will work if you have one. Use it to hold the pulley while you unscrew it with and end wrench.
That's how I did it.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:55 PM
pheaton is on a distinguished road

I used the tool. Most parts stores let you borrow the tool with a 100% refundable deposit. Worked pretty good, but make sure the tool parts aren't too worn.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:47 AM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have done it twice now. The 1st time, I tried using that tool at autozone and I guess my brain wasn't ready for it..hahahahaha...So I did it the hard way. I used a big breaker bar to hold the pully from moving and with a dull cold chisel I hit the nut. After about 10 hits, noting or I thought. Then this guy who is a master mech stop by and went to his house and brought back the biggest pair of adjustable grips I have ever seen. He put them on there and took my old cold chisel and said you just need to tap it. Well, unknown to me I had broken it loose and said Wow that was easy..hahahahahaha...Now the second time. I just used the old cold chisel and tap it a few times and it came loose, lucky that time. Didn't need to try and stop it from moving it came loose after a few taps. And who said they can't teach an old horse a new trick! Hopefully it won't happen again, I might not get so lucky...

Old 06-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Beginning Member
agb1976 is on a distinguished road

Yeah I tried the autozone rental tool and it did not fit.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:51 PM
pheaton is on a distinguished road

The tool is a tight fit. You actually have to line 2 of the bolts up so that the flat edges face out, otherwise the holding tool will not go on. I used the one from Advanced Auto.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Beginning Member
crickkevin is on a distinguished road

Are the threads standard righty tighty? Or are they reversed threads?

Quick Reply: removing fan clutch from water pump