Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:17 AM
RockyMountainHermit is on a distinguished road

One thing's for sure: I ain't no mechanic. So I use mechanics to do the work for me but I also try to understand what they're supposed to be doing so I can monitor what they do.

I want to see if I can squeeze another 100k or so out of my '96 Blazer (that only has 89k on it right now) and, to that end, I'm trying to concentrate on preventive maintenance. One of the items on that PM list right now is power steering fluid replacement.

I asked a local mechanic to do a power steering fluid "flush," but it doesn't look like that's what I got. When I dipsticked it yesterday (cold), the fluid level barely touched the tip of the dipstick and it was brownish in color. There's no way he could have flushed it.

So anyway...I added some fluid myself; it's now at the "Full" mark. I'm thinking it doesn't matter if it's a cold or hot reading (in this case it was cold) with a Blazer like it might with a smaller passenger car like a Chevy Cavalier, for example, that has "C" and "H" marks on the PS dipstick. Does anybody know if it matters? The owner's manual doesn't even have the right photo of the dipstick.

And then the other question is: Is there a PS drain plug somewhere on the Blazer? If not, how do you get all the old fluid out?
-------------------------------------------------------------- EDIT ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmmm...Well, I ran the Blazer up the mountain and then checked the fluid level hot. That pushed it about 1/4" above the Full mark. Guess I'll siphon a little out. Have read that too much fluid can be bad news.

Last edited by rriddle3; 07-03-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 07-04-2011, 02:50 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

To be honest, It doesnt really matter much about the powersteering fluid being old. Ive owned many blazers having up to 500k miles on them and never once touched the power steering other then topping off etc. If you are really worried about it go to advance auto etc and tell them you want a siphoning tube/pump to pull out some old fluids. they have one that you can pull a handle back like a syringe and suck all the fluid out. Then put some in,run it a little,repeat until it looks clean enough for you. but do get it down to the right level. Be more worried about the trans filters,oil,etc. do a pan and filter change on the trans every 30k or so miles. Dont do a trans flush. it can do more harm then good,just a fluid change in the pan and filter will do. For oil run 3k miles and change..pour some fuel injector cleaner in it every 3k miles or so and you have a good running vehicle.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:18 AM
RockyMountainHermit is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chris015
To be honest, It doesnt really matter much about the powersteering fluid being old. Ive owned many blazers having up to 500k miles on them and never once touched the power steering other then topping off etc. If you are really worried about it go to advance auto etc and tell them you want a siphoning tube/pump to pull out some old fluids. they have one that you can pull a handle back like a syringe and suck all the fluid out. Then put some in,run it a little,repeat until it looks clean enough for you. but do get it down to the right level. Be more worried about the trans filters,oil,etc. do a pan and filter change on the trans every 30k or so miles. Dont do a trans flush. it can do more harm then good,just a fluid change in the pan and filter will do. For oil run 3k miles and change..pour some fuel injector cleaner in it every 3k miles or so and you have a good running vehicle.
Thanks, Chris.

Interesting about the PS fluid lasting so long. Good to get a first-hand account of that. Think maybe I'll just tweak the level, then, and check it occasionally from that point on/top it off, etc. Yeah--I've been pretty religious about trans fluid changes as well as other fluid changes. Seems like most of the preventive maintenance revolves around periodic fluid changes: Coolant, engine oil, differentials, transfer case, transmission. I've been doing all those. Hasn't saved me from an annual outlay of about $1,000, though, for one surprise problem or another. Had to replace the damn catalytic converter recently, for example. Huh?! (vehicle only has 90k on it) Can't imagine getting 500k on my Blazer without eventually having to replace every original part.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:01 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Well,500 k miles doesnt come cheap lol. Nothing much really broke down other then some front end bushing,and odd's and ends. But when it burned 3 quarts of oil a week even running heavy 40 weight. It starts costing a extra 15.00 a week for oil. But the thing never died though. I sold it for scrap which i wish i didnt do now.