2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Truck died while driving and battery light came on

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 07:19 AM
Beginning Member
mechelle207@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
Default Truck died while driving and battery light came on

Driving home from work last night my 99 blazer died and the battery light came on. No indication before hand that it was going to die, it just up and died on me. Lights and everything were still on. Tried to restart it a couple times to no avail and then on the 3rd try it finally started and got me the rest of the way home. I had only been driving it for about 20 mins/couple miles. Any ideas of what could be the issue here?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:24 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

loose battery cable...if you can get it going try local parts store.
have them test the battery and alternator, that would be easiest way to find out.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:00 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

If that light came on when it died and went off when it started that's normal

Old 08-14-2011, 09:19 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
have them test the battery and alternator, that would be easiest way to find out.
Ah, yes... but...
Originally Posted by abig84
If that light came on when it died and went off when it started that's normal
The battery light is always on when the key is in run and engine not turning the alternator.
However DO take it to the parts store and ask them to read the stored codes. Maybe that will give a clue as to what happened.

No sputter, hesitation, bog or anything.. just flat died? Had you just tried to accelerate, decelerate or did it just happen at 'cruise', whatever the speed.

And have you ever had problems starting it or had it act up in any other way?

Last edited by pettyfog; 08-14-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Starting Member
dobyken is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mechelle207@yahoo.com
I had only been driving it for about 20 mins/couple miles. Any ideas of what could be the issue here?
If you only went 2 miles in 20 minutes then you weren't going fast enough to charge the battery. Kidding aside...what was your volt meter showing when the truck was running? If it's reading 13-14 while running then your alternator is most likely OK and you either have a bad battery or cable connection.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:43 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dobyken
... If it's reading 13-14 while running then your alternator is most likely OK and you either have a bad battery or cable connection.
Where are you getting that?!!! Let's not go down a blind alley!

It may well be a bad connection but what she observed would have been the same if the fuel pump quit!

- 99 blazer died
- the battery light came on.
- Lights and everything were still on.
No indication before hand that it was going to die, it just up and died on me.
When you first attempted to restart it and couldnt, did you hear normal 'start engine' sounds? Or the classical dead battery r.r.r.r rrrrr... rrrr. r.r.r.r....." Or just clicking/rattle?

Last edited by pettyfog; 08-14-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
If it had anything to do with the battery wouldn't it have been then that I would have had no lights or anything? As I said lights and everything were still on.

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Ah, yes... but...

The battery light is always on when the key is in run and engine not turning the alternator.
However DO take it to the parts store and ask them to read the stored codes. Maybe that will give a clue as to what happened.

No sputter, hesitation, bog or anything.. just flat died? Had you just tried to accelerate, decelerate or did it just happen at 'cruise', whatever the speed.

And have you ever had problems starting it or had it act up in any other way?
I was accelerating as I had just turned a corner when it died on me. It has been starting hard lately as in taking a few extra seconds before finally turning over, one time even starting so hard it seemed that the engine "jumped".

Originally Posted by dobyken
If you only went 2 miles in 20 minutes then you weren't going fast enough to charge the battery. Kidding aside...what was your volt meter showing when the truck was running? If it's reading 13-14 while running then your alternator is most likely OK and you either have a bad battery or cable connection.
I do know that the battery connection is not a great one as one of the terminals gets loose and is being held using a bolt instead of whatever the normal piece is that holds it in (have had past issues where it will loosen and I will have to tighten it back up). Battery gauge is where it's suppose to be when it's running though so how could it be that if the lights and whatnot were still on when it died?

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Where are you getting that?!!! Let's not go down a blind alley!

It may well be a bad connection but what she observed would have been the same if the fuel pump quit!
Fuel pump has been changed out within the last year.

When you first attempted to restart it and couldnt, did you hear normal 'start engine' sounds? Or the classical dead battery r.r.r.r rrrrr... rrrr. r.r.r.r....." Or just clicking/rattle?
Both times trying to start it, it sounded just like it would as if it was going to "catch" but did not and then 3rd time finally started. No classic dead battery sounds. Again not to beat a dead horse but wouldn't the lights and whatnot have also been off due to a dead battery? Lights were not off, just a vehicle that died on me

Thanks for all the helpful info from everyone, I do really appreciate it. I think it may just be time for a new vehicle as there are several issues other than this one and I can not continue to put funds into that I do not have
Anyone looking for a 99 Blazer for parts? Body is in decent condition and the interior is good.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:29 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Your last post screams fuel pump to me. A very common problem. Have it checked.

Youre very discriptive and that helps ALOT! Many other posters on here should take lessons from you. From what you have said your battery and alternator are fine.

Start other threads for your other problems. they might be simple fixes! Its cheaper to fix your truck than it is to have a new truck payment!!!

Good luck!

Old 08-18-2011, 04:39 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by kristoph30
Your last post screams fuel pump to me. A very common problem. Have it checked.

Youre very discriptive and that helps ALOT! Many other posters on here should take lessons from you. From what you have said your battery and alternator are fine.

Start other threads for your other problems. they might be simple fixes! Its cheaper to fix your truck than it is to have a new truck payment!!!

Good luck!
TY. I talked to my mechanic yesterday (who knows my vehicle pretty well) and he said it sounds like it could be something electrical or along those lines (computer component/sensor) as it is starting after hitting the gas while trying to start it. He said if it was the fuel pump it would not start at all. At this point I am going to try to sell it as it has to many issues for me to deal with ( possible wheel bearing, oil leak, heater issue, just to name the ones I can think of now). My parents are thinking of giving me a vehicle so I won't have a payment to deal with. If anyone is in my area and wants more info then let me know and I will get pictures and more info.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:29 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Thats very generous of your parents. My folks have been very kind to me also. When ive asked them how I can repay them, they tell me to pass it down to my son. They said Their folks did them favors with the only stipulation being that they did the same for their kids!

Im afraid your mechanic is wrong about the fuel pump. A pump that is not making enough pressure will cause hard starting, stalling, poor performance ect. Have the fuel pressure checked.

Do you perform your own work? if so, then the items you listed really arent that hard to repair. just one thing at a time. But if youre paying for labor, the items you listed may cost more than the truck is worth. Depending on your situation, you may be making a wise move. I would post pictures (In the appropriate place) of your truck and list whats wrong with it. I bet you someone would be interested.

Its been nice chatting with you. With your discriptions things were fun to diagnose.

I wish you the best.