Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

87 K5 Blazer won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Beginning Member
n4cerr is on a distinguished road
Default 87 K5 Blazer won't start

I did a search but didn't find anything similar. I was pulling into a parking lot when the engine started sputtering like it was running out of gas. I quickly turned into the nearest spot as it died. I turned it over and it would sputter and die. I did that twice and even though the gauge showed 1/8th of a tank left I figured it was probably out of gas. I had been cutting across the parking lot to get gas so I walked to the gas station and had my wife meet me there with a gas can. I put 2 1/2 gallons in and then tried starting it again. Now it just turns over and doesn't even attempt to start like there was no gas. I have had no issues prior to this and the plugs and wires are fairly new and look fine. Any suggestions before I have it towed?

Old 08-25-2011, 05:05 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Fuel Filter and Pump would be my first guess. 2nd would be your timing chain, my dad's busted on his 79 pulling into the parking lot of my school almost exactly like yours died.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Beginning Member

Filter was replaced less than 3k miles ago. I was wondering about the fuel pump. I don't know much about engines so not sure how the timing chain affects the engine. I will pull out my chilton manual and look for the timing chain. Is there any visibly tell tale signs to look for?

Old 08-25-2011, 05:31 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

I can't remember if there is a viewhole on the timing chain covers or not... But the timing chain is your connection from the Crankshaft to the camshaft. No timing chain, no running engine.

But before you jump straight to the Timing Chain. I'd see if its the Fuel pump first. When you turn the ignition to on, just so all your electronics turn on... can you hear the fuel pump turn on? You might have to have your wife turn the key and you open the gas tank and listen. If it seems to be on for an oddly long amount of time, then it probably needs to be replaced. Or if it doesn't kick on at all then it definitely needs replaced.

When I replaced the one in my 88, the filter attached to the pump had disintegrated and clogged it. so it couldn't get any fuel through.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Beginning Member

I went and checked. The fuel pump comes on for about 3-4 seconds before shutting off so I am not sure what to think now. I don't think that this should have any effect but the parking spot I am in is on a slight incline so that the water runs down to the middle if the lane. I put in 2 1/2 gallons and think that should be enough but maybe not with the incline?

Old 08-25-2011, 07:03 PM

The incline shouldn't matter much. Do you have tools at your house? I'd say towing it back home would probably be the best thing to do right now. Hopefully Kyle will chime in with all his mechanic godliness. I'm at a loss. I would have thought that it was for sure the Fuel Pump. Is yours Fuel Injected?

Old 08-25-2011, 08:54 PM
Beginning Member

Yes it is fuel injected. I have tools at home but not much knowledge on what I am doing. I have done work on my motorcycle but a lot smaller engine and everything is fairly easy to get to lol.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:27 PM

lol, I hear ya, that's why I'm glad I have small hands... but a really bad habit of dropping nuts and bolts lol! To be absolutely sure that it is or isn't a fuel problem. Take the Air Cleaner off and have someone attempt to start it while you look for fuel to spray down out of the injectors. You should see a nice even, powerful conical spray on both. If it is intermittent at all then you have a clog somewhere. Either the injectors themselves or the Fuel Pump. If it turns out to be the pump, its not too hard of a job and you should be able to do it if you have a floor jack to roll the tank out from under then truck and then back under. Or a skateboard lol.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Beginning Member
Doms01Blazerls is on a distinguished road

usually when a timing chain breaks the engine shuts off like you turn your car off not like a sputtering stop like your running out of gas. spray starting fluid in the throttle body and see if it will run for a few seconds off the starting fluid. Then you know you have spark. If your sure the fuel pump isnt bad then possibly the fuel line is clogged?

Old 08-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Beginning Member

Took off the air filter and watched the injectors and fuel was flowing. I will have to get starter fluid to check for spark I guess. Hard to believe I wouldnt have had issues starting before if there is an issue with no spark.