TrailBlazer GMT360/GMT370 (2002-2009) Tech Have a 2002-2009 Trailblazer, Envoy, Bravada or Rainier? Post your general tech questions here.

button on shift stuck

Old 11-05-2006, 01:33 PM
lois is an unknown quantity at this point
Default button on shift stuck

I have a 2003 trailblazer. recently the button on shift stays stuck once you put it into park. My brother checked the fuses and they looked fine. I was told by a mechanic that I should be able to engage it with the key in the igination if i turn the key back 1 click but that didn't work. I can't get it in for 3 days any suggestions??

Old 11-05-2006, 03:08 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: button on shift stuck

I don't really understand your problem, could you elaborate.
Do you have a 4.2L or a 5.3L, 4WD?
Can you shift gears?

Old 11-05-2006, 05:20 PM
jmd57win is an unknown quantity at this point

Lois,
Hi. I have a 2003 trailblazer also. We recently had problems with the car not going into park. It has the center console shifter. The dealer finally diagnosed it as the ignition swtich and that took care of the the problem. The dealer replaced a number of parts before they diagnosed it as the ignition switch.
Jon

Old 11-05-2006, 10:25 PM

It's an automatic. If you hit the button with a hammer to get it engage you can use the truck like normal but as soon as you put into park the button locks up and won't release without the hammer.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Let me start with the obvious... You are pressing the brake before attempting to shift out of park correct?

And yeah, that's a real good idea to take a hammer to the shifter...

*EDIT* - Sounds like you have a problem with either the shift interlock or park lock solenoids not disengaging.

Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control System
The automatic transmission Shift lock control system is a safety device that prevents an inadvertent Shift out of PARK when the engine is running. The driver must press the brake pedal before moving the Shift lever out of the PARK position. The system consists of the following components:
^ The automatic transmission Shift lock control solenoid
^ The automatic transmission Shift lock control switch

With the ignition in the ON position, voltage is supplied to automatic transmission Shift lock control switch. Voltage flows through the normally closed contacts of the automatic transmission Shift lock control switch to the automatic transmission Shift lock control solenoid. The automatic transmission Shift lock control solenoid is permanently grounded. This energizes the automatic transmission Shift lock control solenoid causing the transmission Shift lever to be physically locked in the PARK position. When the brake pedal is pressed the contacts in the automatic transmission Shift lock control switch open, de-energizing the automatic transmission Shift lock control solenoid. This allows the Shift lever to be move out of the PARK position.

Park Lock Solenoid
The park lock solenoid is a safety device that prevents an inadvertent Shift out of PARK when the key is in the OFF position. The key must be in the RUN position to release the park lock solenoid. The system consists of the park lock solenoid.

With the ignition in the ON position, voltage is supplied to the park lock solenoid. The park lock solenoid energizes through a permanent ground unlocking the Shift lever. With the ignition in the OFF or ACCY position the park lock solenoid de-energizes and locks the Shift lever in the park position.
Diagnostic flow chart for the Shift Interlock solenoid/switch and the symptoms you describe:

Old 11-05-2006, 11:42 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

You probably need a new shift lock actuator....and now possibly a new shifter as well.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking back... My inlaws had this same thing happen to their '03 TB and the dealership ended up replacing the ignition switch. So there are many things that influence the operation of the shift interlock and park lock solenoids.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:36 PM

Took it to the shop and the wire was broken in the console going to the soleniod. Thanks for your help and advise.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Glad you got it repaired. Tracking down a broken wire can be a major pain in the butt!!!

Old 11-09-2006, 01:19 AM
BF Veteran

Excellent...and thanks for the posting the fix. It may help someone else as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: button on shift stuck