Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Tranny leak out the bellhousing

Old 12-16-2011, 08:27 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Tranny leak out the bellhousing

Hey everyone. Well I can't believe I am saying this, but I can now add the transmission onto the list of components that are leaking. I was changing the oil almost 2 weeks ago and saw a little bit of red fluid on the bottom of the bellhousing coming from a hole between the engine and transmission. I am going to assume it is ATF since there isn't really much else it can be. However, I do not notice a drop on the dipstick. In fact, when I check it after driving it, it is just above the hot range. I only added a third of a quart after noticing that it was between the cold and hot ranges. This truck has a deep pan, so I am not sure that made any real difference. This leak went from just a seep to big drops on the bellhousing (See before and after photos) in less than 2 weeks. It is progressively getting worse. I am concerned about what is next. Is this the forward seal? I called many shops today and most would not even touch it, others were extremely expensive, some wanted to rebuild it, a few would do it but said that could be something else and one recommended I put Bar's Leaks in it. My concern is the bushing that is allegedly walking out that this seal is supposed to indicate is happening (which not one of the mechanics expressed concern about that). Any ideas? My options that I think I have are:

1. Live with the leak, top it off when needed
2. Put more Lucas in the transmission (there is already have a bottle in it)
3. Put Bar's Leaks in it and risk additional damage if/when it interacts with the fluid and the Lucas
4. Have the seal replaced and risk "additional damage"
5. Go on Craigslist, find a low mileage transmission and have that put in
6. Have this trans rebuilt even though it is driving just fine and the fluid hasn't changed color since I had the fluid changed last year (sometimes it shifts funny and jerks into reverse, but I think that is the TPS again).

Attached Thumbnails Tranny leak out the bellhousing-2011-12-16_20-32-26_930.jpg   Tranny leak out the bellhousing-2011-12-04_23-05-26_859.jpg  

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 12-16-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

Check your cooler lines, they're right above where you are seeing that leak. Passenger side just above where the dipstick connects to the trans housing. Might also be an idea to check the dipstick oring as well.

I replaced a front seal on a 2wd 4L65E and it wasnt too bad. But getting the trans in and out is a different story.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mike98Blazer
Check your cooler lines, they're right above where you are seeing that leak. Passenger side just above where the dipstick connects to the trans housing. Might also be an idea to check the dipstick oring as well.

I replaced a front seal on a 2wd 4L65E and it wasnt too bad. But getting the trans in and out is a different story.
I will go check that out immediately and pray that you are right and that you saved me a transmission repair. Maybe it is since I have a cooler and one of the cooler lines was cut to connect it. Thanks

Old 12-16-2011, 08:44 PM

Here's hoping.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:14 PM

Well this sucks. The cooler lines are dry (other than the dried engine oil) and the dipstick tube has no red near it. Any other suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails Tranny leak out the bellhousing-2011-12-16_22-05-33_749.jpg  
Old 12-16-2011, 09:45 PM

open up the inspection hole and get a flashlight in there, if you see trans fluid inside then it's a good bet it's the front seal.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mike98Blazer
open up the inspection hole and get a flashlight in there, if you see trans fluid inside then it's a good bet it's the front seal.
How do I do that and how do I get it back on? I'll do that tomorrow.

Is there still a chance this is something that can be fixed without removing the transmission? If it is the front seal, what about this bushing? Could I just throw Lucas in there and hope that fixes it?

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 12-16-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:57 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

ehh.. you could try but dude,its time to drop the trans,and replace that seal.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:54 AM

I'm honestly not sure how to remove/replace that inspection cover. It should be a twist lock kind of deal by the looks of it but honestly i have no clue.

Yeah at this point, you've gotta pull the trans, if the leak is inside the bellhousing there's nothing can be done without it out of there. The reason is because you have to actually completely remove the torque convertor from the trans to replace the seal. It's a one piece seal that rides on the torque convertor where it goes into the trans pump.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:17 PM

My oil pan gasket / rear main seal on the engine is also leaking. I heard that the trans has to be removed to replace that also. Maybe I should see about getting that fixed during the same repair?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny leak out the bellhousing