Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

"Egged" out Door Hinge hole on 2000 Jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Frank from Philly is on a distinguished road
Default "Egged" out Door Hinge hole on 2000 Jimmy

Hey Guys,
I'm replacing the hinge pins and bushings on the front doors of my 2000 Jimmy.
But as I looked closer at the hinges I noticed that on the door-side half of driver's side top hinge (that's the half of the hinge withOUT the bushings), that the hole in the upper leg is "egged" out pretty bad. Bummer...
Looks to me like the only ways to fix this is to either replace the hinge (replacing the hinge looks like a lotta grinding & welding...), or fill the hole up with weld and then redrill it...
OR, can I drill out the egged hole to a larger diameter that would take a bushing, and install a new bushing in there (where there was not one before)? Has anybody ever tried this? Or am I fulla poop?...
Whadda yiz think?
-------FfP

Old 12-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Beginning Member
Tubais is on a distinguished road

Not saying it is the "right way" but i just installed the bushings and it was enough to take out the slack

Old 12-27-2011, 03:16 PM
David Hineline is an unknown quantity at this point

I would take the door off and to a welding shop, have them instert a copper rod into the original hole, weld up damaged area around it, weld will not stick to copper rod. remove rod, dress up hole with grinder.

I also would see no problem with drilling a larger hole and welding in a bushing if you could get it centered properly.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Frank from Philly is on a distinguished road

Thanks Tubais, I wish I could be as lucky as you, but just putting the new bushing in the other hinge leg ain't gonna get it for me. the leg without the bushing is way too worn.

Dave, the copper rod is a great idea, never tried that before.
I was also thinking of welding a plate, kinda like a washer, on the underside of the leg (or on the top, if the new pin sticks thru enuff) with the correct size hole already drilled in it. Whaddaya think?
Being a Steamfitter, holding a number of pipe welding certifications, I can weld this stuff up myself. I have stick, tig and mig machines. Just might Tig this one...

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-27-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.