Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4x4 engagment problem!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Starting Member
steveO91 is on a distinguished road

Ok our first big.snow came through and I ended up having to use 4x4, the issue came in to play when I noticed it didn't feel like I was getting pull from the front tires especially when my rear end kept sliding from under me, I went to a fresh spot of snow engaged my 4hi and floored it, I got out and looked at the tracks and noticed my front tires won't break lose at all, just the rear end tires, so I put it in park and crawled under it to make sure the front axe engages and it does, I cannot spin it by hand, I can hear the transfer case engage and there are no out of place or abnormal noises, plain and simple, it looks like my front end isn't getting any power transfer even though everything is engaged, does anyone have the same problem or any help or answers for this issue I'm having?? ThAnks in advance for any help I receive

By the way the vehicle is a 99 Chevy blazer

Last edited by swartlkk; 01-16-2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Beginning Member
BlackMatter is on a distinguished road
Default same problem

ive had the same problem went to get into my blazer (there was like 3 inches of snow) i went to go and put 4X4 hi on and it wouldn't turn on and I normally can change to 4x4 hi while driving it wont let me do that for some reason (98 Blazer 4dr)

Old 01-12-2012, 09:32 PM
01inthewoods is on a distinguished road

Same here, on an 01 4dr. Hit the 4Hi, LED changes right away, no flashing, can hear a relay click (tccm?) but no 4WD? Inherited it from Mom when she passed last Aug. Got it for her in July '10. Never saw 4X4 except for me driving her around last winter. Tried it last spring? and ok then. No warning lights or flashing LED's. Nothing. Haven't checked for codes yet, too f***ing cold tonight.

*Update*
Got lucky. Turned out to be two issues, one covering the other. Bad/stuck cable. Looks like battery leakage before I owned it ate up the plastic jacket, and the exposed metal rusted and seized the cable. Once we got the actuator out from under battery, then battery back in so I could start it, I found the vacuum switch stuck open in 2WD. Had the cable not been stuck, the front axle would have been locked in full time! Switch/valve was only $12, cable $26. That valve is a bitch to change, kind of. It's on the top left side of the T case, where you can't see it. Hard to get a wrench on, couldn't find my 7/8 deep socket, doubt it would have fit w/o dropping rear cross member. Box end, and a line wrench got it done. Had to pry cover off of axle to pull stuck cable thru enough to access release clip on bottom end. Was just about to cut it, my buddy had fun sticking it in a vise and yanking on it,trying to free it up, was stuck pretty good.
Local O'Reilly had both in stock (woo-hoo!) and I go off pretty cheap.
Now to replace the front hubs. RF is making noise. Yay.

Last edited by 01inthewoods; 01-19-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Starting Member
steveO91 is on a distinguished road

Someone said something about the front axel servo not fully engaging or vacuum lines, what do you guys think on that? Has anyone taken there's to a shop to get the issue checked out?

Old 01-13-2012, 05:53 PM
easyrider59 is on a distinguished road
Default same deal with my 98 blaz

nice here today. off work early so put it on jack stands all around started it up heard transfer case kick in 4x4 lo front shaft started turning front tires not back tires were. could turn tires freely what locks front axels in? any help would b appreciated . thanx

Old 01-13-2012, 11:07 PM
bigzimnh1 is on a distinguished road

sounds like a bad actuator, should be under your battery tray. it has a cable and a vacuum line going to it. i would check that first. if it has any tears it will not hold vacuum. it could also be the switch on the transfer case. both are easy fixes.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Starting Member
pj243 is on a distinguished road

Our 2000 blazer is changing itself to 4hi then it wont go back to 2hi then it changed itself to 4lo after showing no lights at all on the switch

Old 01-16-2012, 05:30 PM
easyrider59 is on a distinguished road

thanx u were right actuator bad thanx again easyrider59

Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

steveO91, how many switches do you have on the dash? The number could change the trouble shooting steps.
Originally Posted by easyrider59
thanx u were right actuator bad thanx again easyrider59
Glad you fixed your problem!

Originally Posted by pj243
Our 2000 blazer is changing itself to 4hi then it wont go back to 2hi then it changed itself to 4lo after showing no lights at all on the switch
pj243, you are more than welcome to follow along in this thread, but since the OP still hasn't gotten his problem fixed and the problems are different enough, please create a new thread on your problem.