Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Frozen Fuel Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 01:40 AM
choover82 is on a distinguished road
Default Frozen Fuel Injectors?

1992 Chevy Blazer S10 Tahoe LT, 4.3 Vortec.

Second time in two weeks my injectors have frozen up. Someone said its probably bad gas since I used same gas station. First time it happened, I knew I should have let motor warm up, but jumped in...and took off to work. About a mile down the road, motor shut off....coasted down the street to side of road. Tried to start back up but no go. Made sure I had fuel...pump works (previous owner cut an access door in floor above fuel pump)...checked connections underhood...maybe someone popped off....nothing. Called work, told them id be late.

Called a friend of my sisters, they come to help me out and kid says my injectors froze up. Drove my back-up vehicle to NAPA and bought some fuel anti-freeze. Poured into tank, let sit maybe 30 minutes, and in process of towing back home, i cranked and it started. Runs good after warmed up.

Also was told to use a can of seafoam, so I bought a can. I really didnt see any improvement in preformance or any kind of change in the motor.

Yesterday I did the same. Jumped in, took off....noticed rpms bouncing, i knew what would happen next...sure enough, she shut off. Lucky this time I was less then a block away. Pulled it back to house, used car bought another bottle of fuel anti-freeze and poured in tank....waited...cranked, wasnt working yet. Screw it, drove other car to work. Lunch break, came home switched vehicle. Started right up, so i deff know its the injectors like the kid told me.

Is there a way to prevent the injectors from freezing up again? Something I should replace? I filled my tank tonight at a different gas station and also poured in a bottle of fuel anti-freeze.

(its been cold here, between 10 degrees and negative 5)

Last edited by choover82; 01-20-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:47 AM
Starting Member
Gale is an unknown quantity at this point

I did not know that was possible.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:14 AM

Neither did I until I asked the guys at NAPA. Somehow, Im getting water in my fuel, maybe from the gas or someone putting water in my gas...doubt the second theory...but either way, i need to find a way to make it stop if possible.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:45 AM
blazer_grl is on a distinguished road

I've heard of gas stations getting water into fuel systems, but it's unintentional. I would recommend not going to that gas station for awhile. Don't be surprised if that station closes down for maintenance.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:31 AM

Im not sure that will happen. We used to have two kum-n-gos and two caseys, and one dynos....caseys bought the kum-n-gos so now we have 4 caseys general stores in a very small town...im sure they use from same tanker. will use dynos from now on and if it still happens, ill start going to the co-op gas.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Beginning Member
tommyis3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I always use Stabil ethanol treatment, never had a problem, this is readliy available at auto part stores:

Heres what it says on their website:
STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment helps remove water, protects against corrosion, and cleans fuel injectors, carburetors, and intake valves to keep the fuel system free of gum and varnish and deposits. Perfect for use in your everyday driving vehicle, such as your car, truck, SUV or mini-van, and also great for your small gasoline powered equipment -- lawnmowers, chainsaws, weed wackers, snow blowers, snowmobiles, etc. Recommended to be used at every fill up to keep your vehicle and equipment running smoothly year-round. For more information on Ethanol blended fuels, read our new white paper on Ethanol blended gasolines:

http://www.goldeagle.com/UserFiles/f...ed_Gasline.pdf

Old 01-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Starting Member
scottl1346 is on a distinguished road

dry gas i only use it in the winter about every few fill ups

Old 01-20-2012, 05:12 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

that happened to my 92

i started it made it warm up

went inside once i got outside the truck was off
Would not start once again

MY fuel filter froze

I put some fuel antifreeze in the tank
and she started right up the next morning

I replaced my filter and never happened again
I knew my fuel line froze cause i had no pressure at the check valve
and i heard the pump forcing its self

but i never heard of the injectors freezing
Plus you had the motor running for a mile
and it should of at least been warm inside the intake

Old 01-20-2012, 10:55 PM

maybe it is the fuel filter. never hurts to change it, just need less snow on ground first.