2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

voltage drop at license plate bulb. Only 7.6 volts.?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Beginning Member
wallacereid is on a distinguished road
Default voltage drop at license plate bulb. Only 7.6 volts.?

I know this is a little picky, buy the driver side plate light does not work. After verifying the bulb, I tested the voltage at the socket and back down the wire a foot or so to the first plug. Sure enough, it's only getting 7.6 volts at both places, where the passenger side light is getting 11.5 volts and is illuminating.

I am not an electrician. How can the voltage be less....I thought it was either working, or not.

Seems light the bulb would glow a little, but nothing.

I saw on an older post from Vegas Dan, that the ground was bad and he used steel wool. But where is the groung, and where did he use steel wool?

Last edited by wallacereid; 01-26-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:04 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

is the socket corroded inside ? ya might wanna clean it out and see if the voltage goes up

Old 01-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Beginning Member

It looks good, but I'm going to scrub it out...I'll let you know....

Old 01-26-2012, 05:12 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

you know what ya can do ? put the tip of the multimeter where the wire enters the socket and see if you get the correct voltage

thats if you have room to put the needle in

just thought of it now

Old 01-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Beginning Member

The socket was clean, but I folded a small sliver of sandpaper and cleaned the socket connections....no change.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:31 PM
BF Guru

are bolt bulbs connected to the same line (wire) ?

Old 01-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Beginning Member

I could not get the tester probes in the back of the socket....But I don't think that's the issue, since I went all the way back to the in line plug a foot before the socket, and I get 7.6 volts there too...where is the ground?

Last edited by wallacereid; 01-26-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:04 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by wallacereid
I could not get the tester probes in the back of the socket....But I don't think that's the issue, since I went all the way back to the in line plug a foot before the socket, and I get 7.6 volts there too...where is the ground?
You got that voltage at the plug, on the battery side of it?

Now read the brown wire to frame. If brown wire is 11 volts to frame THEN you have bad ground in the splice pack, not at grounding point because pass side is okay and they all join in the splice pack.
Unless someone at factory screwed up and used the pickup harness.
The black wire is ground. The Grounding point for all rear electrical is top of crossmember above the differential.

For info purposes:
In 99 the underhood fuse that drives license lights, at least on step bumper, is...
TRL PRK

Last edited by pettyfog; 01-30-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:05 PM
BF Guru

Thank you for clearing that MR fog

IM in a whole different world right now . Had a real long day

Old 01-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Beginning Member

No, the testing was done on the connection side of the plug, the back is sealed....

Thanks for that.....just went out and retested to verify, and I now have less that 1 volt at the bulb socket, and the upstream plug (socket side)...whereas, yesterday, I definately had 7.6 volts. seems like something is loose upstream of the plug, either at the back of the plug, or into the harness itself. Did a lot of wiggling, but nothing...

When you say read the brown wire to frame, you mean touch the brown wire with one test lead, and the frame with another...correct?

Quick Reply: voltage drop at license plate bulb. Only 7.6 volts.?