Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

new fender flares or fiberglass fenders for my zr2

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Beginning Member
cory renner is on a distinguished road
Default new fender flares or fiberglass fenders for my zr2

just trying to decide which route to go new fender flares

Diversified Automotive Creations - Products - Fender Flares

or new fiberglass fender flares

1994 to 2004 Chevy S 10 and GMC Sonoma Front Fenders

these will be put on a 2002 zr2 blazer anyone tried either installation and there about the same price and my blazer is already white so those arent an issue but the fender flares do say they take 11 hours for a skilled profesional so any input would help thanks

Old 02-19-2012, 09:56 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

The thing with glass fenders is you might have to sand some areas down or build them up to get even gaps. Holes will have to be drilled and the inner fenders have to be modded. That's why they have such a long install time. Also if you sand it pass the gelcoat or drill it has to be sealed up with paint.

Personally I think prerunner fenders look better than cut out flares. I've looked and looked for a set for a first gen but seems like I'm gonna have to make my own. Just gotta figure out something that looks good to attach the rear prerunner sides with. Also has me reseaching molding rubber or plastic urethane fenders. Fixing paint flex cracks is less headache than fixing broken fiberglass.

Last edited by neo71665; 02-19-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

personally, I don't like pre-runner fenders because the rear wheel wells won't match the front. You'll have flares on the back and no flares on the front.

I have the the flares you posted on my blazer.

They are a fair bit of work to install and you can't be afraid of cutting up your fenders. Another problem is they don't fit all that great, the left and right don't match each other.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Beginning Member

ok thanks well jamaroon did u put urs on ur self how long did that take u also did u have any expeirence before those flares or find it very dificult

Old 02-20-2012, 06:42 PM

I don't really remember too well how long it took. I think maybe 5-6 hours for me and a buddy.

Experience with what exactly? these flares? if that's what you mean, then no, this was my first install of these flares. There are some things I wish I would have done differently. The fenders lose some of there rigidity with all the cutting so I wished I would have welded in some new metal to keep the fenders stronger.

Difficulty isn't too bad, the instructions are fairly good. It's just getting up the courage to make that first cut.

If I were to do it again, I would still choose the Diversified Flares over pre-runner fenders, that's my personal preference of what would look the best and provide extra tire clearance.

Your other option would be to just trim the stock flares.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:19 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

I thought the LS1 (Diversified) flares only came with the fronts for Blazers. Did you mod the rear ones to fit?

Old 02-21-2012, 06:45 AM

I still have stock flares on the back.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:34 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

I would have to agree...those prerunners look cool but your rear wont match without some heavy body modding.
I dont think putting flares on is all that bad....like stated above...worst part is getting the nerve up to cut your ride a little. Heck i have a 4 door and made flares work....you should be able to do it.
I did a write up in the diy section that may help ya with what might have to be done.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:10 PM

if you haven't seen them yet, they have the instructions right on the website. it shows how much needs to be cut off. I just found the back of the fender became somewhat flimsy as most of the support gets cut away.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Beginning Member

yeah the flares do sound like the better route to go and i did read through the instructions thanks for all the help pick those up when i go back home to bc

Quick Reply: new fender flares or fiberglass fenders for my zr2