Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

'98 Jimmy Coolant and Oil Leak

Old 10-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Beginning Member
jdog2pt0 is on a distinguished road
Default '98 Jimmy Coolant and Oil Leak

Issue has been there as long as I've had the vehicle (going on a year or two now). Coolant disappears like no one's business. I can top off the radiator and fill the reservoir and check it the next day to have the coolant below what I can see. Yet, I can drive for months and months without any issues. I think the leak has gotten worse though. I can find little puddles of both coolant and oil under the vehicle. (Only occasionally though, I think most of leaks as I'm driving)

Coolant: When I have the splash guard on it drips from around the bottom bolt driver side. Now that I have the guard off and the front end lifted up it's dripping much further back (probably because the vehicle is tilted).

Oil
: The oil appears to be coming from the front of the vehicle and drips off the drain bolt. However oil (and grease) is on everything. It's on the front of the engine from the crankshaft pulley down. It's on just about every hose that's under the engine. There's a mix of oil and coolant on the center link, inner tie rod, etc.

Now, on one side of the engine (driver I believe) is this yellow gunk that I don't remember there being before. Thought I read it might be emulsion from coolant and oil mixing.

Now, the thing is that as far as I can tell nothing is burning inside the engine. Exhaust is clean and dry, plus it purrs like a kitten. Yet, all the fluids appear to be coming from the engine. What could it be? I can post pictures on request.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:41 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Get a few cans of engine cleaner & clean it, I'd start there & then you can see where the leaks are coming from. From there we can help you when you get pics of the clean engine & where the leaks are.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:38 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Is there coolant in oil when you check the stick?
Oil cooler lines seeping and getting oil all over? When my oil cooler lines seeped the whole area would get covered good. Intake manifold could be leaking...when mine leaked it was showing up in valve cover valley by intake and would run down front of engine.

Rotti is right though....pics would help us help you.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Beginning Member
jdog2pt0 is on a distinguished road

Recommendations on cleaning it? I'd prefer just being able to soak it in something and then take the pressure washer to it. Lemme know what you suggest.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:42 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Just pic up some engine cleaner in a spray bottle a local parts store...they al work pretty much the same.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Beginning Member
MrMopar+GM is on a distinguished road

Very common for the front main seal to leak oil around the crank.

You are losing coolant around the intake manifold gaskets. They will only get worse. you can live with the oil leak, but need to get the coolant leak fixed. My 96 is doing same thing, just picked up manifold gasket set tonight to fix it before I sell it as I just picked up a 2002 ZR2.