Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1998 Blazer hard shifts

Old 12-23-2012, 03:48 AM
ZachL90 is on a distinguished road
Default 1998 Blazer hard shifts

1998 Blazer LS 4x4.
I am having issues with my blazer shifting hard. When you put it in reverse or drive it's not a smooth transition, just a hard shift. I am also experiencing a hard 1-2 shift. All other gears shift smooth and every gear downshifts smooth. I have checked the fluid and the trans was a little low. I topped it off and it did not help any. My CEL has been on prior to this happening so I have not yet checked to see if there is a 1870 code. I know I will have to replace at least one solenoid valve, but with over 200,000 miles I think a rebuilt valve body with fresh fluid and a filter is good insurance. I have also read that the TransGo shift kit SK4L60E fixes the issues I am experiencing... Any truth to this?

Is there anything else I should check for other than the code? Any suggestions on parts vendors? I found a website for Ken Partin Transmission Parts. Good price on a rebuilt valve body. Has anybody done business with these guys before?

Any helpful input is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Old 12-23-2012, 09:57 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough
Old 12-23-2012, 11:43 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

I have the same shift kit in my trans but since my Jimmy isnt on the road yet I cant speak for what improvments it will make.I did alot of reading on the S10 forum and it has good reveiws there.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the link newguy. None of those issues listed are really whats happening, but I will go check my fault codes and check voltage readings on the TPS for smooth electrical response. Come to think of it, this hard 1-2 shift was intermittent for a while but is now continuous, and I have had a code for engine running too lean before. Maybe I've had a faulty TPS all this time and didn't even know it. Bastard...

Old 12-24-2012, 01:04 AM
J_E
Beginning Member
J_E is on a distinguished road
Default Things I learned fron the Trans-go shift kit.

I'm in a similar spot as 1sttimejimmyowner. I've bought and installed that shift kit, but haven't driven more than a few hundred feet with it. That and I didn't start with a P1870 code.

I had 0 (zero) automatic transmission experience before installing this kit.

Here are a few things I learned, some the hard way.

-When you get the kit, read the instructions, but do not open any of the parts bags until you are ready to start work. The instructions can be confusing, but if you go slow and look at the pictures, it can be figured out.

-The kit does not include a new seperator plate or valve body/seperator plate gaskets. Transgo replacement plate and gaskets is about $40.

-I tried to install the kit with out removing those gaskets from the seperator plate and ended up having them fall apart on me.

-I think the issues I was having (bad 1-2 shift solenoid) can be tied back to the check ball that was stuck in the seperator plate.

-I didn't plan ahead and order the necessary drill bits before starting. For the $10 in drill bits that I needed, I ended up buying an $80 drill bit kit at Northern Tools.

-Having extra check ***** on hand is a good idea. They are easy to lose, and hard to hold on to when they have trans. fluid on them.

-If you are installing the corvette servo, do it the same time that you install the shift kit.

-A transmission oil pan with the drain plug welded in is less likely to leak around the drain plug.

-The only thing I couldn't do from the kit is put a chamfer on the selector rod. The instructions said something about it making reverse release easier, so I do not know if it was necessary.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:39 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Trans grease! Its a translucent red grease that desolves near instantly upon fluid pressure. I put it on my ***** to hold them in place. Never list one yet. OH just re read my post, but you get the idea.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by J_E
I'm in a similar spot as 1sttimejimmyowner. I've bought and installed that shift kit, but haven't driven more than a few hundred feet with it. That and I didn't start with a P1870 code.

I had 0 (zero) automatic transmission experience before installing this kit.

Here are a few things I learned, some the hard way.

-When you get the kit, read the instructions, but do not open any of the parts bags until you are ready to start work. The instructions can be confusing, but if you go slow and look at the pictures, it can be figured out.

-The kit does not include a new seperator plate or valve body/seperator plate gaskets. Transgo replacement plate and gaskets is about $40.

-I tried to install the kit with out removing those gaskets from the seperator plate and ended up having them fall apart on me.

-I think the issues I was having (bad 1-2 shift solenoid) can be tied back to the check ball that was stuck in the seperator plate.

-I didn't plan ahead and order the necessary drill bits before starting. For the $10 in drill bits that I needed, I ended up buying an $80 drill bit kit at Northern Tools.

-Having extra check ***** on hand is a good idea. They are easy to lose, and hard to hold on to when they have trans. fluid on them.

-If you are installing the corvette servo, do it the same time that you install the shift kit.

-A transmission oil pan with the drain plug welded in is less likely to leak around the drain plug.

-The only thing I couldn't do from the kit is put a chamfer on the selector rod. The instructions said something about it making reverse release easier, so I do not know if it was necessary.
Well I am most likely just going to order a new valve body and do a fluid and filter change. I am going to add 1/2 bottle of Seafoam Trans Tune before I tear into it and I will fill with the other half. I have heard very good things about the Seafoam Trans Tune product.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:58 PM

Oh and I got the codes read and I do NOT have the P1870 code. I have a P0740 code for TCC enable circuit.