2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

brake bleeding queation...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 08:13 PM
daddyx2 is on a distinguished road
Default brake bleeding queation...

Vehicle : 1999 s10 blazer lt, 4 door, 4x4.

Have had the abs light come on sometimes when in coming to a stop and the pedal feels lifeless. Today dad and I replaced all four brake pads, and the calipers on the back end because the caliper on the right rear had a leak, but for some reason now we cant get the pressure in the pedal to resume normalcy when the engine is running. Turn the engine off and the pedal is hard as a rock. We tried to bleed the system for 45 minutes to no avail. Yeah we were getting air bubbles every time, went through 2 medium sized bottles of dot 3. But the first time we bled the lines we got blackish colored fluid, i don't know if thats just an age thing or what on this fluid? The issue started when we swapped the right rear caliper and we did take it off, and re mounted it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Hoping like heck its not the booster. Oh, forgot to mention, we did try to bleed when the truck was on, and also when the truck was off

On a positive note got the donut in my exhaust swapped out which was the reason for thebexhaust leak and put in an ac delete pulley as well. Figures! When ya try to upgrade something the problems come back at ya twofold!

Old 12-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

You'll need to gravity bleed them. Remove the cover from the master cylinder and top off the fluid, leave the cover off. DO NOT let the master cylinder run dry during this entire process. DO NOT touch the brake pedal or start the engine. Open the bleeder on the right rear a couple of turns and let the fluid run out. It should run out about 2 drops per second. Let it run out for 10 minutes and if no bubbles exit the bleeder valve, close the bleeder. Repeat the process on the left rear. If you opened a front bleeder, repeat up there too, one wheel at a time. After all wheels are done, start the engine, have an assistant hold constant pressure on the brake pedal, don't pump it. Slowly open the right rear bleeder and watch for air bubbles. Don't let the brake pedal go to the floor while the bleeder is open. If there are bubbles, close the bleeder, release brake pedal pressure and reapply, don't pump it. Open the bleeder and check for bubbles again. When the fluid comes out with no bubbles, move on to the left rear wheel and repeat. Usually only takes one, maybe two times of opening the bleeder at each wheel. If the pedal is still mushy, you'll need to perform the automated bleed with a capable scan tool.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:46 PM

Thanks capt...oh i think i forgot to mention, when driving and the braking issue occured, the abs light came on, and during our attempts at bleeding today the red brake warning light popped up on the dash. If that changes the trouble shooting process i dunno. Thanks again.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:44 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The red light came on because there is air in the system. Bleeding should shut it off. If not, after you're done gravity bleeding, and before you hold presure on the pedal for final bleeding, start the engine and give one quick jab & release on the brake pedal. That will center the safety valve. The amber ABS light may be on due to air also, especially if the master cylinder ran dry, or there may be an ABS problem. Bleed the system first and see if it goes off.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:47 AM

Let ya know how it pans out tomorrow, dad went to the docs today with a cough he caught yesterday while we were working on the truck, doc just said the word pnuemonia, so hes gonna be down for the day. He says he'll get back at It Tomorrow, can't really beat up the old man too bad because when he fixes stuff I don't get charged labor.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:49 AM

Doing just the gravity bleed can be done with one person.....you??? Only need 2 people to hold pressure and bleed at the same time.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:00 PM

I don't live with him or I would be doing it myself. Left the truck at his house erring on the side of caution and took my moms 04( trailblazer ls back home (60 miles each way). She about came unglued when I texted her and said that it has a little wobble in the right front tire at 110 in a turn! Just kidding of course!

Old 12-31-2012, 04:15 PM

Yup, those Trail Blazers tend to shimmy in second gear! Smoothes out pretty good though once you hit 120, don't forget to tell her that.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:09 PM

Told her the snow on the roof made me keep atleast 2 tires on the pavement when i ebraked around the offramp!

Old 01-01-2013, 03:11 PM

Got her figured out, let her sit overnight and dad bled her no problem. I'm thinking it was the old fluid that needed to be flushed out, but now ive got more of a brake pedal than I ever had! Thanks again for the help man.

Quick Reply: brake bleeding queation...