Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Hard shift 1 to 2 when cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Beginning Member
mswillia1 is on a distinguished road
Question Hard shift 1 to 2 when cold

I have a hard shift from 1-2 when cold. Not when it is warm.

There is also some hesitation at 70 mph but it is more noticeable on the way to work when I have been on the freeway for 5 miles or so than on the way home, I think this is because the transmission is hot before I can get to 70. It was worse when I dropped to 3 rd from OD at 65 mph. The postings I read said this can be caused by the distributor, could it also be related to the shifting issue?

I have read the other listings and some say change the shift solenoids and some say change the valve body. The TPI for the valve body says it has to happen when hot, so it seams this is not my fix.

I have a Transmission cooler. Also new plugs, cap, wires.

After sitting for 2 weeks, when I drove it yesterday, it felt like someone was pumping the brakes while I drove.

What do you think? Would you change the filter, oil, and 1-2 & 2-3 solenoids? Or do I need a rebuild?

Old 02-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Beginning Member
Mossyoaksilverado is on a distinguished road

The 1 2 shift when cold could be the computer holding first gear longer due to low trans temp. I had this issue in my 2001 HD.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Starting Member
Jakeduece is on a distinguished road

Mine does the same thing, I'd be interested to find out why. Also, when you said it felt like someone was pumping the brakes, did you have your ac/defrost on? Sounds strange, but sometimes the ac system gets low on Freon, starts cycling on and off every 2-3 seconds, which on my truck at least, makes a noticeable difference on transmission performance. It felt like I would let off the gas pedal and then get back on it, but with steady pressure. Just something worth thinking about.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Beginning Member

The AC compressor has been disconnected for 2 years, the clutch is even removed. It is 20 deg warmer today and it felt like it was pulsing a little at first but then it stopped within 15 feet and worked fine other than the hard shift from 1 to 2 until the transmission was warm.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Beginning Member
Mossyoaksilverado is on a distinguished road

The pulsing brakes could be warped pads or rotors also. You could have a caliper that has a sticking piston, the piston is not going back into the caliper like it should and causing the brakes to drag, thus producing the dragging feeling while your driving.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Beginning Member

I lightly pressed the brakes and there was no change to the pulsing. So, I do not think it is warped rotors. This problem may be related to my wife moving the car 2 times and not letting it get warm, and then letting it sit 2 weeks. The pulsing is not an issue anymore. just the hard shift from first to second.

Thanks for the ideas though.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Beginning Member
PhilBilly is on a distinguished road

I had that same crap going on w/ my money pit.
Couldn't figure it out.
I've read too that the distributor & computer has alot to do w/ it.
But in my case it wasn't either.
Every first run of the day that thing would shift hard into 2nd.
Over rev sometimes too.
Then it would feel as if the brakes were kicking in just enough to jump around and pull.
I did all the usual, tune up, ECM checked out fine - no trouble codes.
Replaced the trans pan gasket & filter.
Through in some Lucus Stop Slip. No difference.
The Tranny fluid didn't look too bad when it came out either.
I found out the problem the hard way.
One morning,
Got about two miles from the house & BANG she locked up like I just hit a pole.
Came to a screeching stop. The Rear Differential was locked up.
Towed it back home & tore the drums off too see if the shoes had seized.
They all looked about 40% fine.
E-Brake cable has been removed so I knew that wasn't that.
Now this is the part were the neighbors got to hear the whole situation...
I was causin' loud.
Pulled the Pumpkin cover off... gray milk oozed out along w/ little Gear pieces.
This is why I had to do a Rear Differential swap out.
After all said & done w/ the swap out,
It has not once felt like the brakes were kicking in nor does it shift hard.
You would think a Rear Differential would be the last thing causing a hard shift... Hopefully your issue is completely different!!
I'd hate to see anyone deal w/ this.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Starting Member
Jakeduece is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mswillia1
The AC compressor has been disconnected for 2 years, the clutch is even removed. It is 20 deg warmer today and it felt like it was pulsing a little at first but then it stopped within 15 feet and worked fine other than the hard shift from 1 to 2 until the transmission was warm.
Oh ok. As far as the hard 1-2 shift when cold, does the shift get harder at higher rpms? If you baby the gas pedal and get the first to second shift to occur at say, 1600 rpms, is it a little softer than if you let it shift at say, 2200 rpms?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Beginning Member

PhilBilly, I have changed the rear end twice already. I know what you are talking about regarding the pulsing and then the bang stop, The first time, I was a block from home and disconnected the rear drive shaft, jacked it up with my floor jack and my wife drove home in 4 wheel drive while I steered the rear, was not good for the axles of the jack. The second time I thought it was U joints, but they were tight, stuck my finger in the pumpkin fill hole and saw the metallic sludge.

This pulsing kind of felt that way but there was not the whir whir sound like when it was the differential.

Not sure how this fixed your hard shifting issue.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Jakeduece
Oh ok. As far as the hard 1-2 shift when cold, does the shift get harder at higher rpms? If you baby the gas pedal and get the first to second shift to occur at say, 1600 rpms, is it a little softer than if you let it shift at say, 2200 rpms?
Jakeduece, Yes, If I let off before the shift it is much softer.

Quick Reply: Hard shift 1 to 2 when cold