Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Trans pan install issues and now a broken 2-3 shift solenoid!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 02:56 PM
dave5514 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Trans pan install issues and now a broken 2-3 shift solenoid!!!

Second S10 Blazer I have had, and they are great.

However, I want to find the MORONS who shoved all this stuff together without THINKING of maintenance! Yeah I know the whole thing is to get you to take it to dealer, screw that!

Anyway, 2001 Blazer. Deep pan (2 step not flat bottomed). Bitch getting out and tried to install and screwed up the 2-3 shift solenoid.

Removed retainer clip and plastic piece is out (with a check ball). I HOPE I just get the new solenoid, if no check ball in that one, use previous and put in. Thoughts?

Also, how in the HELL do you get the damned pan back on! Yeah I have searched, and one said to loosen the trans support and jack the tranny up a bit. No one ever says for sure how they did it, they just say GOT IT and that's it.

Lot of great advice on here, but not in a great mood for searching any more as half my fingernail is ripped off from trying to monkey that damed thing in!!!

ANY advice greatly appreciated!

Old 06-30-2013, 11:23 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i wonder if its cause you have a deep pan that it wont come out. ive done lots of transmissions on s10s and dont remember having to remove the crossmember, on the older ones you did, like a 92 for example. one thing ive learned working on s10s and most cars in general theres always something else in the way of what you are trying to do, you can never just take off a part without having to move another one.

youre usually better off just removing whatever is in your way instead of fighting with it and twisting the pan up

Old 07-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I just did mine a week or two ago. Take 5 min and pull the trans cross member off. Its four bolts that are easy to access and will save you from another angry rant post lol!! Plus it will give you the extra space to ensure a good clean mating surface for the pan seal when you put it back on. Its worth the extra couple minutes trust me. Oh and don't forget to have a jack under the trans to support it when you move the cross member.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 AM
dave5514 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks abig84, much appreciated.

Well, it was fun, but it is now done.

Sum up, got 2 new shift solenoids (1-2 and 2-3), and installing those were no issue. The new ones have a screen inset in the passage, where the older ones did not, and I got Delphi OEM solenoids.

I agree with your statement, "theres always something else in the way of what you are trying to do, you can never just take off a part without having to move another one". That there is!

So, unbloted the rear of the trans from the crossmember and supported, took the passenger side crossmember bolts off (drivers side were more a pain, so tried this way first) and the crossmember was able to be dropped about 1 - 1 1/2 inches. Finally had the clearance to get the pan in. Not a straight shot, but working slowly it maneuvered into place.

Bolted back up, torqued pan bolts to specs, pushed crossmember back up to place, bolted in and torqued to spec, reinstalled nuts to rear trans support and torqued to spec.

Put in 4 qts of fluid (did NOT want to overfill) and started her up. Let the transmission warm up on the jackstands, (she was completely in the air and stable) cycling through Park, R, D, 3, 2, 1 and back periodically to get all flowing and cycling. Dipstick showed between the holes when hot after a 10 minute warm up and cycling. Shut her off and dropped her from the jack stands. Took her out for a test drive about 10 minutes of neighborhood and up to 60 mph driving. She shifted fine, works great. Checked fluid, still between the dots. So all is well, finally doen with THAT issue!

Like you stated, they design things so it is best just to take it off and get it out of the way to make it easier on yourself! Although NOT taking off the shock support of the number 4 plug! LOL

Thanks again for your reply!

Old 09-30-2015, 11:49 PM
Starting Member
TerrenceKelly is on a distinguished road

Hey,
I recently had problems with my transmission after changing the 4X4 Actuator Valve, that went smoothly, still not the problem to get my 4X4 working. After installation I tried to start the vehicle, lights went on, instruments were lit, then I hit the ignition and suddenly everything powered down and I couldn't start.

Checked battery connectors, they were good and I could get battery power again but as soon as I tried to start everything would power down with no sign of a spark.

Checked the plugs and distributor, all good. Went back down under the vehicle, noticed my SHIFT CABLE was not in Park, adjusted it to park and slightly pulled the rubber on the cable away from the gear shift and it started up beautifully.

I notice when Im about to drive, I get really slow acceleration and high RPM (2000-2500) until I hit 30KM then the RPM goes back to normal (1500)

When I take off from gear 1, it goes smoothly then I switch to D...

What could be the problem and fix?

Last edited by TerrenceKelly; 09-30-2015 at 11:55 PM. Reason: have a question
Old 10-02-2015, 10:20 PM
slimsummers is on a distinguished road

You likely need an overhaul, the trans sounds like it is slipping in first gear, probably due to a worn out sprag. When you shift to manual 1st, different elements inside the trans are engaged bypassing the sprag, eliminating the slip.