Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

OBD II Port No Power Solution

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:02 AM
pkrawetz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OBD II Port No Power Solution

I had a situation where my OBD II port under the drivers side dash had no power. My local mechanic couldn't figure it out so I called a local Chevy dealer for an appointmnet. I described the problem and she asked me if I had checked the cigarette lighter fuse? A little dumb founded, I said I would. Come to find out there was no cigarette lighter fuse. I must have used it replace another 15A fuse that had blown and didn't replace it because I don't use the cigarette lighter.

Would be nice if Chevy properly marked the fuse panel.

Just some information in case someone else runs into the same problem.

*combining consecutive posts*

Sorry, I forgot to include the vehicle information

1999 Chevy Blazer 4X4

*EDIT: swartlkk* - Combined consecutive posts. Please use the EDIT function to include additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:09 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: OBD II Port No Power Solution

GM likes to bundle their fuse connections together... But that's good to know! I'll make sure to remember that one, lol

My '85 S10 had the park light system and the cigarette lighter on the same system (which when grounded to another ground in the dash, shorted the system whenever you plugged anything into the cig lighter, and blew out all my dash lights...)

Old 03-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find more than one manufacturer that does this in their early OBD2 vehicles.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:39 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

That's true, but I've only owned one OBD2 vehicle, lol... It's probably not just on their earlier ones... Most likely on all newer ones too... Why run more wires and take up fuse block space when you don't have to?

Old 03-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup whenever I hook up the old scan tool and have no power I check the cig lighter fuse. I do that however, after I check the lighter cocket first for loose change that would pop my new fuse. Korey

Old 03-04-2007, 02:06 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

GM likes to bundle their fuse connections together
If everything on the car that draws current had it's own individual fuse, you would have a fuse box as big as the engine compartment.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:30 PM
filstoy is an unknown quantity at this point

It does say so in the owners manual. They can't list everything on the fuse panel or it would be way too big . God forbid they make the labels any smaller. I can't see them now LOL.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:55 PM
pkrawetz is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, not being knowlegable about the eletrical workings in my vehicle, I just found it amusing that such an important connection would be run by the cigarette lighter fuse. I fully understand that having a fuse for every light, switch, etc would be overkill but this one should have it's own. Great to see I can post such an amusing thread. Can't wait for the next problem to creep up. I'll be back if that happens!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:12 AM
partsguy74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much.. This was causing me great pain over this weekend. I'm trying to locate a problem in the emission system and was just about to drive the truck to an automotive electrician to figure out why the obd2 plug was dead. You just saved me $100 diagnostic fee. Thanks again.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad we could help partsguy74!

Quick Reply: OBD II Port No Power Solution